MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've got a K&N on my F and i was reading a thread last night which directed me to a link that was very interesting.

The 820 box is almost made to measure to enclose the K&N cone and behaving more like a sealed air induction kit - ie keeping the warm air out.

Anyone heard of/done this ?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are we talking AN ACTUAL FLOWER POT ?? - won't it melt...

As i've got the K&N set up i'd quite like to use the downpipes that are fitted somehow

·
Registered
7,791 Posts

1. Buy some biscuits.

2. Cut out the section in black to poke air tubes in.

3.Job done.

(I don't think it could be much simpler?) ;) :D

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blimey !! - and that works ? - so does the lid come off and that is the end where the throttle housing is ?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess to get that in you need to go in through the service panel right as not room from boot side ?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
To be honest, I can't actually remember if I removed the engine cover or not? Oops. :doh:

And I opted to throw away the lid and have a third tube aimed directly at the top of the tin with the other two aimed in the slot that had been cut out.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
scuzza said:
are we talking AN ACTUAL FLOWER POT ?? - won't it melt...

As i've got the K&N set up i'd quite like to use the downpipes that are fitted somehow
In a word - Yes. Although we are talking plastic rather than the clay ones. Get a pot that is big enough for the filter to fit inside including a tray which will fit over the top and enclose the system. You then cut a suitable hole for the hose to the TB and a hole big enough for a 3" pipe for cold air from the side air vent. You can cover the whole lot in a heat reflective material and Bob's your father's brother. Since the system is sealed the engine will draw cold air in from outside the engine compartment and you don't need to rely on the car moving to give you a ram effect. Also, it won't catch on speed bumps. Regarding melting, the OEM airbox is plastic and it doesn't melt.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
i fitted the very same airbox, thats on that ebay ad. pain in the royal bum to get the old resonater box out but it does fit.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i want to feed both downpipes in to maximise air flow - this looks is if this would only fit one - that right ?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you enclose the system it's not a good idea to put your pipes under the car - they will suck up water. It's OK with the open system because you're relying on a "air ram effect" to feed the filter with cold air and since the pipes stop a few inches from the filter itself you won't get any water in it. However the last thing you want to be doing is hoovering up a puddle - this won't happen if the pipe is taken out the LHS air vent. You'll also get more cold air in from a large dia pipe than a couple of smaller ones. My ITG uses a 4" dia intake pipe.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
scuzza said:
i want to feed both downpipes in to maximise air flow - this looks is if this would only fit one - that right ?
yeah thats right but, you could get two airfeeds to mearge into one pipe easily enough.

thats ebay one is the proper 160 box, as fitted to the tf160 and trophy f

and the k&n fits perfectly

1 - 20 of 25 Posts