MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS above i have one of each both saloon models one in red the other in green, apart from a few trim differences, what is the difference the vitesse sport is on a p plate and the other on a m plate.

they are both 2 liter turbos but the sport one does feel faster certainly lower down in the rev range.

are there any differences performance wise ??

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Early Vittys has a slightly different engine. The exhaust cam was different and the boost was lower but thats about it. They didnt have the Torsen box either. Up the boost and there wont be much difference really. The early vitesse ran 8.8 PSI the other Rover turbos were 11.7 PSI. From 96 (i think) all vitesses had the 200bhp engine and Torsen box.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Early Vittys has a slightly different engine. The exhaust cam was different and the boost was lower but thats about it. They didnt have the Torsen box either. Up the boost and there wont be much difference really. The early vitesse ran 8.8 PSI the other Rover turbos were 11.7 PSI. From 96 (i think) all vitesses had the 200bhp engine and Torsen box.
Thanks for you reply, i will try and get some pictures up, other differences i have noted are that on me Green vitesse M reg ,the engine has Turbo written across the top of the engine and the other p reg has injection wriiten on the engine, but its deffo a turbo cos i can see it and it has dump valves? also how can i up the boost?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks for you reply, i will try and get some pictures up, other differences i have noted are that on me Green vitesse M reg ,the engine has Turbo written across the top of the engine and the other p reg has injection wriiten on the engine, but its deffo a turbo cos i can see it and it has dump valves? also how can i up the boost?
Thats the same as our old 600 ti, the missis m plate ti had TURBO written on the inlet manifold, and my r plate ti has injection.
Upping the boost is SOOOOOOO simple, but can be SOOOOO easy to go mad and can end in tears.
You need a manual boost controller and remove the O/E BMV (boost managment valve) Set at a SAFE level, approx 11-12psi and job done.
Removing the BMV allows more boost lower down the revs.

G

·
The loss of the word "turbo" on the inlet manifold is just a cost cutting exercise - the manifold is otherwise identical.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Engines with "turbo" written across the inlet manifold were dizzy engines the ones with injection written on them were the wasted spark engines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Engines with "turbo" written across the inlet manifold were dizzy engines the ones with injection written on them were the wasted spark engines.
Sorry, Dizzy ?? Wasted?? Blond and Stoned is the only two deffinitions that i can come to any ideas???

·
Registered
rover_800
202 Posts
Sorry, Dizzy ?? Wasted?? Blond and Stoned is the only two deffinitions that i can come to any ideas???
LOL!!

Dizzy is the distributor, wasted spark is basically electronic ingnition,
Some specs can be found here but how reliable they are i'm not sure, so don't any of you eggheads out there inform me of fuel consumption errors etc,
'cos i don't care!!!:hyper:

http://www.pallant.f2s.com/rover/specs.htm

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Fuel consumption is SO variable though. I get about 25mpg from my 420 and its running really well at the moment, the chances of me getting anything like the claimed figures are slim to none.

I think upping the boost of the Vitesse will be fine. Not having the torsen isnt so bad on the 800 because its heavier and less skittish than the lighter 220/420 anyway. If it gets a bit much change some of the bushes to stiffen up resonses a bit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fuel consumption is SO variable though. I get about 25mpg from my 420 and its running really well at the moment, the chances of me getting anything like the claimed figures are slim to none.

I think upping the boost of the Vitesse will be fine. Not having the torsen isnt so bad on the 800 because its heavier and less skittish than the lighter 220/420 anyway. If it gets a bit much change some of the bushes to stiffen up resonses a bit.

The book i have for the 800 states 37mpg at 55mph which i think is a bit unrealistic !! 28mpg at 75mph

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Prior to 96, the normal Vitesse had the 180bhp engine, and could be identified by black plastic on top of the bumpers. The Vitesse Sport had body-coloured bumpers and side mouldings, Recaro half-leather interior, leather gear knob and wheel and the 197bhp engine and Torsen box. After 96, all Vitesses had the body coloured bumpers (except the coupé) and the 197bhp engine and Torsen box. Then there was the Vitesse Sport Lux, which was specced like a Sport but with the full leather interior from the Sterling.

As for fuel economy you can get over 30mpg, but I'd have said 37mpg more describes the 820 with the non-turbo engine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Prior to 96, the normal Vitesse had the 180bhp engine, and could be identified by black plastic on top of the bumpers. The Vitesse Sport had body-coloured bumpers and side mouldings
In typical Rover fashion, this is not strictly true. My old Vitesse Sport (Lux) had black topped bumpers and black side mouldings. I have seen others the same.

I suspect not all early Vitesse Sports like mine (1994 - M) received the colour coding treatment.

*** Edit ***

Wow ... I still have pictures online:

·
Registered
rover_800
202 Posts
As for fuel economy you can get over 30mpg, but I'd have said 37mpg more describes the 820 with the non-turbo engine.
I get approx 30mpg on a 65 mile run each way every weekend, my average cruising speed never drops below 85 if i can help it, regularly topping 100,
if i stick to about 75 i get about 35mpg, not bad for 197 horses.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In typical Rover fashion, this is not strictly true. My old Vitesse Sport (Lux) had black topped bumpers and black side mouldings. I have seen others the same.

I suspect not all early Vitesse Sports like mine (1994 - M) received the colour coding treatment.

*** Edit ***

Wow ... I still have pictures online:

WOW!! Thought that was my car then!! same colour and reg, Only differnece is the clear rear lights and i have recaro seats. nice pic s!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts