MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have put rover 800 turbo 225/45/17 onto my rover 600 but am getting a lot of wheel wobble. I have fitted 5mm spacers and it is better but still not right.
How do i work out what sort and size spacers i need? Original tyre size was 195/65/15 6j. New size is 225/45/17 7j ??

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,923 Posts
Please define 'wobble'.

One of my 620ti has Vitesse Sport 17" alloy wheels with 215-45-17 AVONS all round ~ all about half worn still with plenty of tread depth. On certain road surfaces and contours, the tramlining can be scarey ~ by tramlining I mean the car appears to be steered by an outside force as if running on rails in slightly different direction to where the steering is pointing ~ can be scarey when that suddenly happens at speed.

It is VERY noticeable on busy Motorways such as the M25 where countless heavy trucks pass and effectively make grooves in the nearside lanes they pound away on 24/7. It is those grooves which act like train or tram rails and affect the steering. It does not happen with the OE ti 16" alloys with 205-55-16s

I have a nice set of bare Vitesse Sport Rims and would like to fit new tyres on them which are not affected or, at least much less affected by tramlining than as mentioned above because those 17" alloys really cosmetically suit the looks of the 620ti.

If anyone has these 17" Sport alloys on their ti and never experience this tramlining 'wobble' effect, I'd be interested to hear what tyre brand and size is involved.

I have a hunch that 205 rather than 215 width tyres may be the answer with 45 profiles.

I am not the only driver who has experienced this with that tyre size and rim combination.

Look forward to any comments on this subject.

There again wheels and tyres can indeed wobble under certain circumstances.

Jack each wheel in turn clear of the ground and rotate it looking for any signs of 'wobble'. Wobble could be in a deformed tyre or tread ~ had that happen and the steering does in deed wobble at all speeds ~ or a dented rim ~ also check the INSIDE inner edge of the rim and tyre as it rotates as any damage could be restricted to that area alone thus unseen on the inner side.

Finally ~ wheel nut size already mentioned. Those OE nuts fitted with the OE 16" alloy wheels are simply too small to fit safely in the larger stud holes of the larger 17" versions. Alloy wheel nuts as used on MG Montego/Maestro X-spoke alloys and some MGF alloys are ideal and I use those on my cars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is VERY noticeable on busy Motorways such as the M25 where countless heavy trucks pass and effectively make grooves in the nearside lanes they pound away on 24/7. It is those grooves which act like train or tram rails and affect the steering. It does not happen with the OE ti 16" alloys with 205-55-16s.
It has with my ti! On the M180 the grooves from lorrys are particularly bad, and it's a very unpleasent expereince driving along the nearside lane.

·
Registered
mg_zs
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please define 'wobble'.

One of my 620ti has Vitesse Sport 17" alloy wheels with 215-45-17 AVONS all round ~ all about half worn still with plenty of tread depth. On certain road surfaces and contours, the tramlining can be scarey ~ by tramlining I mean the car appears to be steered by an outside force as if running on rails in slightly different direction to where the steering is pointing ~ can be scarey when that suddenly happens at speed.

It is VERY noticeable on busy Motorways such as the M25 where countless heavy trucks pass and effectively make grooves in the nearside lanes they pound away on 24/7. It is those grooves which act like train or tram rails and affect the steering. It does not happen with the OE ti 16" alloys with 205-55-16s

I have a nice set of bare Vitesse Sport Rims and would like to fit new tyres on them which are not affected or, at least much less affected by tramlining than as mentioned above because those 17" alloys really cosmetically suit the looks of the 620ti.

If anyone has these 17" Sport alloys on their ti and never experience this tramlining 'wobble' effect, I'd be interested to hear what tyre brand and size is involved.

I have a hunch that 205 rather than 215 width tyres may be the answer with 45 profiles.

I am not the only driver who has experienced this with that tyre size and rim combination.

Look forward to any comments on this subject.

There again wheels and tyres can indeed wobble under certain circumstances.

Jack each wheel in turn clear of the ground and rotate it looking for any signs of 'wobble'. Wobble could be in a deformed tyre or tread ~ had that happen and the steering does in deed wobble at all speeds ~ or a dented rim ~ also check the INSIDE inner edge of the rim and tyre as it rotates as any damage could be restricted to that area alone thus unseen on the inner side.

Finally ~ wheel nut size already mentioned. Those OE nuts fitted with the OE 16" alloy wheels are simply too small to fit safely in the larger stud holes of the larger 17" versions. Alloy wheel nuts as used on MG Montego/Maestro X-spoke alloys and some MGF alloys are ideal and I use those on my cars.
When i say wobble i mean its not just like a small balancing vibration problem at say 70, its a noticable steering wobble which the faster you go the more the car shakes. I havnt checked for wheel damage yet, will do that tonight.. So should i be ablle to simply put 17's on without a problem?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,923 Posts
When i say wobble i mean its not just like a small balancing vibration problem at say 70, its a noticable steering wobble which the faster you go the more the car shakes. I havnt checked for wheel damage yet, will do that tonight.
That makes a damaged wheel and/or tyre more likely.

So should i be ablle to simply put 17's on without a problem?
Yes, that's what we've done with two 620ti in the family - straight fit - no problems ~ do bear in mind that the OE wheel nuts are not suitable to fasten those Vitesse sport 17" alloys ~ they are not big enough and in some circumstances, are dangerous! Do NOT use them. Note my earlier comments on these wheel nuts.

Reactions: empsburna

·
Registered
mg_zs
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That makes a damaged wheel and/or tyre more likely.

Yes, that's what we've done with two 620ti in the family - straight fit - no problems ~ do bear in mind that the OE wheel nuts are not suitable to fasten those Vitesse sport 17" alloys ~ they are not big enough and in some circumstances, are dangerous! Do NOT use them. Note my earlier comments on these wheel nuts.
This may or may not sound a bit stupid, but, how can i tell the difference between rover 600 & 800 wheel nuts? After what has been said about them being too small i am going to try and buy some. If i cant find original nuts can somebody reccommend some suitable after-market ones?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,923 Posts
This may or may not sound a bit stupid, but, how can i tell the difference between rover 600 & 800 wheel nuts? After what has been said about them being too small i am going to try and buy some. If i cant find original nuts can somebody reccommend some suitable after-market ones?

There's a BIG difference ~ 620ti OE Alloy Wheel Nut on left, MG Montego OE Alloy Wheel Nut on right.

This shot shows the size difference in relation to the Stud Holes in the Vitesse Sport 17" alloys: ~~

This shows how really inadequate those smaller nuts are in those large stud holes. The MG Montego Alloy Wheels nuts are perfect for the job:

If you have difficulty getting a set, PM me ~ I may be able to sort out a set of 16 MG Montego Nuts.

·
Registered
mg_zs
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks very much for all this help & advice, its VERY much apreciated. Seeing thoses pictures i can now say that i already have the 800 / bigger wheel nuts...Thank god for that! I see what you mean about the original ones being too small....I wouldnt fancy using them much.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.