MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
rover_800
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I decide to overhaul the rear brake calipers (girling) and after taking them apart, cleaning them, changing the seals, etc, I am finding it impossible to refit the cap/spring over the center stem where one needs to push it down into the caliper over the stem and then install the clip to hold it down. Am I doing something without using a special tool? Help please.

· Registered
3,135 Posts
Sorry a while since we took the pistons out of a back caliper on the 800.

If you have removed the piston from the caliper and changed the seals and are now at refitting, then yes it can be tricky putting the concertina rubber dust cover back in place. & I think it did take a while. I can't quite remember whether the rubber dust cover had to be fitted to the caliper or the piston end first (or a bit of both) all I remember is they were tricky to do. I may of use a few bike spokes and helping hands if I remember rightly to manage it. Also if the car has got ABS brakes, the rear pistons have to be turned back in to the caliper which only adds to the difficulties as far as I remember.

(I forgot completely about any clip, but it seems familiar now you mention it).

· Registered
rover_800
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello anf thanks for your reply. It actually is worse than this, you see I am not even at the stage you are explaining, before I can refit the seals and piston, I have to refit the spring and metal cover that sits in the center stem where the piston screws to. This is where I am at, I am quite confident though that I can refit the seals and piston once I get through this ordeal...

· Registered
152 Posts
Hello, perhaps someone will help me out here. I'm having problems with rear caliper disassembly. Managed to free up the parking brake shaft, it rotates ~10 deg. and moves up and down a little bit. But the threaded pin inside the cylinder won't move. Does this mean the mechanism is broken? And how to remove this pin, it seems to be stuck. Thanks for any advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts