MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, quick question, hope you you can help!!

The original 827 Coupe was panned for it's handling, but the 820 (Turbo) Coupe versions were much, much better, right?

Did those handling mods make it to the 827 Coupe? If so, exactly when?

Also, the 827 (2675cc) Coupe became a 825 (2497cc) Coupe - the former was Honda's, right. The latter?

Oops, that's at least two questions...!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I think the one to go for on handling is the Vitesse Sport which was a 2.0T with a LSD.

The 825 would have been the KV6 but an early version quite unlike the current engine. They are rumoured to be problematic. The Honda engine is excellent but as you say there are better handling versions around :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,110 Posts
All you need to know about 800 Coupes can be found here:

Rover 800 Coupe development story:
http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/xxr17cpef.htm

Rover 827 V6 Coupe driven to Nurburgring:
http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/cotm200309f.htm

Rover 827 Coupe vs Vitesse Sport Coupe:
http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/xxcoupecompf.htm

Rover Vitesse Sport Coupe driven to The Alps:
http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/r17driveeuropef.htm

And finally... Brian Gunn's 827 Coupe - and his long term report on how he's making his car better by uprating the suspension, steering and brakes...
http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/coupelttf.htm

We know a thing or two about 800 Coupes at austin-rover.co.uk :)

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Keith

P.S., Manual 825 Coupes (if you can find one), also had TorSen diffs fitted...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!!

But I still couldn't find a definitive answer on the Austin-Rover site - did the 820 suspension mods ever make it to the 827/ 825 later in the models life?

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I was under the impression that the suspension from the Vitesse Sport was extended across the range in the 1996 facelift - distinguished by the silver grill and smoked rear lights, at the same time as the Honda 2.7 V6 was replaced by the Rover 2.5 one. I may be wrong though. I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
The Vitesse suspension was exclusive to the Vitesse, the other versions were tweaked slightly by beefing up roll bars and the like. If you want a Coupe that handles well, then it'll have to be the 2.0 Vitesse. I'd avoid the 2.5KV6 in the 800 like an Ethiopian prostitute.
Kev.

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
By the way, you'll find the 2.0 T-Series engine rather good, it's a lot smoother than you'd expect in normal operation, it's only when you thrash it that it becomes overly vocal, but it's an impressive and sturdy lump. I've had 3 Rover's with the 2.0 T-Series and I've had no trouble with any of them, it's the PG1 gearbox that's the weakest link with them, they get noisy if neglected.
Kev.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm living in Japan, and unfortunatly the 820 Vitesse Coupe never made it here, as far as I know. When exactly was the 827/825 Coupe's suspension beefed up?

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
iaan said:
I'm living in Japan, and unfortunatly the 820 Vitesse Coupe never made it here, as far as I know. When exactly was the 827/825 Coupe's suspension beefed up?
March 1996 onwards.
Kev.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Kevin Davis said:
By the way, you'll find the 2.0 T-Series engine rather good, it's a lot smoother than you'd expect in normal operation, it's only when you thrash it that it becomes overly vocal, but it's an impressive and sturdy lump. I've had 3 Rover's with the 2.0 T-Series and I've had no trouble with any of them, it's the PG1 gearbox that's the weakest link with them, they get noisy if neglected.
Kev.
I had an old shape one with the M-series, and I was pleasantly surprised how nippy it was for such a large car. Got 37mpg on a run down to Cornwall which I was dead impressed by. I would certainly have another as a cheap run around.

·
Registered
mg_maestro
701 Posts
king arthur said:
I had an old shape one with the M-series, and I was pleasantly surprised how nippy it was for such a large car. Got 37mpg on a run down to Cornwall which I was dead impressed by. I would certainly have another as a cheap run around.

Performance figures for a 1988 Rover 820 (MPI) were very good. 0-60 in 8.8 seconds anyone??

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the answers so far!!

(Hope I am not becoming an anorak, but I'm thinking about buying one of these...!)

So if the 827 received suspension mods in March 1996, was that the same time that the 827 became the 825?

Did the 827 ever get suspension mods?

And how does the 827 without those mods compare to the 827/825 with suspension mods?

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
Yes, when the 825 was introduced the whole range received changes, the 827 is quite sloppy compared to the 825, but as I said, I'd avoid the 825 if possible. Go for an 820 Coupe Sterling if you don't want a Vitesse.
Kev.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Kevin Davis said:
Yes, when the 825 was introduced the whole range received changes, the 827 is quite sloppy compared to the 825, but as I said, I'd avoid the 825 if possible. Go for an 820 Coupe Sterling if you don't want a Vitesse.
Kev.
Rare car though. I personally wouldn't be put off an 825, as long as it was either on an S plate or later, or had service history showing the engine having been replaced, which many did have.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They only exported the 827 and then the 825 to Japan, as far as I can tell.

So, it's sloppy suspension 827 Coupe, or dodgy engine 825 Coupe!

Hmm...can the 827 Coupe handle worse than my van? Is the 825 Coupe a much better handler? Is the engine sooo bad in it's early guise?

So many questions...so much car for so little money!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts