MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a source of repair kits for clutch slave and master cylinders.

I have a Rover 825D, 1996, P reg.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Chris Bromley

G

·
You could try Best of British Rover - 0121 526 5444

What's the problem? Are you having trouble bleeding it? They are a sod to bleed because of the damper between the master and slave cylinders.

You can normally get a decent "feel" by partially opening the bleed on the slave and allowing fluid to drain via gravity (DON'T pump the pedal!!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the info.

I got a decent bleed a couple of months ago but the pedal's gone soggy again and I'm now also getting odd 'sticky pedal' feedback on release.

I've had a similar problem on a previous car and it turned out to be the master cylinder seals and if I'm going to do them, I'll do the slave cylinder as well. It's got to be one or the other - or even both.

Chris B

·
Registered
rover_800
10 Posts
Rover 800 Clutch Slave Seals

Looking for a source of repair kits for clutch slave and master cylinders.

I have a Rover 825D, 1996, P reg.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Chris Bromley
The seals are available from Nelson Stokes at Camelford. Alternatively try Brakes International at Rochdale. There is however a problem with these cylinders. The bore of 15.9mm makes it hard to inspect the bore unless one has fingers like ET. What can happen with these cylinders is scoring at the inside end. The original seal can wear so that it fits the scoring but a new seal won't work. Unless the cylinder can be honed there is little chance of success. A useful test is to fit an air line to the slave cylinder bleed nipple (tape its threads with PTFE tape) If hydraulic fluid blows out of the reservoir when the pedal is down there is a problem. Good luck!

At the time of writing a NEW Unipart cylinder has arrived. What is interesting about the Unipart cylinder is the fact that the pushrod is captive to the piston! This pushrod can both pull and push on the piston instead of relying on a weak spring to supply the return force. With this type of cylinder if the clutch pedal ever does stick down one can lift the pedal with ones toe and carry on driving. The type of cylinder where the piston is worked like a shuttle should be avoided like the plague!

·
Registered
rover_400_tourer
20 Posts
800 Clutch m/cyl

Chris

If you can't get seals, I have a new Unipart master cylinder GMC901076 which I think might fit your car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This thread was 6 years old when VM revived it, I suspect 'Chris' and his 825 are long gone clutch 'n all :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts