MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to overide the "handbrake" so my kids can watch tele whilst i drive? They are driving me mad.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It is illegal to do this, as the screen must not be seen by the Driver whilst moving. If the Police find that this has been done, you would be leaving yourself open to prosecution.

In the event of an accident, your insurance would be invalidated.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
On a separate issue - now that the UK has moved to digital television does that mean Rovers will no longer get reception?

Are digital car TV receivers on the market?

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
On a separate issue - now that the UK has moved to digital television does that mean Rovers will no longer get reception?

Are digital car TV receivers on the market?
Yes Freeview and Digi Boxes are available for car applications now.

The UK hasn't totally gone over to Digital yet, it is being done in stages, depending on where you live in the country ;)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Yes Freeview and Digi Boxes are available for car applications now.

The UK hasn't totally gone over to Digital yet, it is being done in stages, depending on where you live in the country ;)
Free to air digital tv is on the cards for NZ, but we're quite a bit behind the UK (typcial). However, I'm making plans for the future. My goal is to have a digital 'double din' tv/DVD player in my dash :drool:.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Does anyone know how to overide the "handbrake" so my kids can watch tele whilst i drive? They are driving me mad.
Cheers
Steve
Do you have rear screens fitted which you want on for the kids or are they going to be watching the front screen?

·
Registered
179 Posts
thats exactly what ive got , 2 screens which attach to headrests, is there anyway could deactivate the safety but install a switch to turn the front screen off????

would make journeys real quiet too :)

·
Registered
rover_75
597 Posts
There's a kit but it's expensive, like 40-50ukp for the wiring loom that disables the safety features. Do a search of the forums. You could just turn all the brightness and contrast down, wouldn;t that disable the front screen?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Free to air digital tv is on the cards for NZ, but we're quite a bit behind the UK (typcial). However, I'm making plans for the future. My goal is to have a digital 'double din' tv/DVD player in my dash :drool:.

Yeah well the UK always used to be behind the United States, now we have caught up look at the mess we are now in; Gun crime, obesity ect, be carefful what you wish for! You have got about 2.5 milliion people on the south island and about 3.5 million on the north, as opposed to 66 million (not including another 6 million living here but not included in government figures), so no traffic jams! Loads of open roads and more sunny days than Africa, it's like driving Nirvana.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
thats exactly what ive got , 2 screens which attach to headrests, is there anyway could deactivate the safety but install a switch to turn the front screen off????

would make journeys real quiet too :)
Any decent auto electrician should be able to do this for you. The handbrake switch can be deactivated by connecting the switch wire to a permanent earth. I'm not sure how the front screen could be disabled on it's own but there should be a way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
brill, thanks for that, spoke to auto chap today says no probs on switch, just needs a copy of the wiring diagram to make it easier, and cheaper :)

is there anywhere i can get hold of one???

cheers

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yeah well the UK always used to be behind the United States, now we have caught up look at the mess we are now in; Gun crime, obesity ect, be carefful what you wish for! You have got about 2.5 milliion people on the south island and about 3.5 million on the north, as opposed to 66 million (not including another 6 million living here but not included in government figures), so no traffic jams! Loads of open roads and more sunny days than Africa, it's like driving Nirvana.
and in English please?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It is illegal to do this, as the screen must not be seen by the Driver whilst moving. If the Police find that this has been done, you would be leaving yourself open to prosecution.

In the event of an accident, your insurance would be invalidated.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, there goes Satnav under that rule then LOL
The original law was any picture, except reversing aides that only activate when reverse is engaged.

But no seriously, they are looking at banning satnav screens, for voice directions only

So hold off anyone looking at getting one.

My satnav is on my mobile pda and gives screen+voice directions even when I am on a hands free call and can't look at the screen.

But how soon before even hands free calls are banned and changing tapes/station/Discs/taking to passengers etc

In fact why not go the whole hog and ban bill boards and sign posts.

But then what could they fine us for? Bad taste paint jobs?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Yeah well the UK always used to be behind the United States, now we have caught up look at the mess we are now in; Gun crime, obesity ect, be careful what you wish for! You have got about 2.5 milliion people on the south island and about 3.5 million on the north, as opposed to 66 million (not including another 6 million living here but not included in government figures), so no traffic jams! Loads of open roads and more sunny days than Africa, it's like driving Nirvana.

Four million people live in New Zealand while one million New Zealanders live abroad. From memory the South Island has only ~1 million people while the North Island has ~3 million people. The population of Auckland is 1.2 million. As far as traffic jams are concerned one urban centre is pretty much the same as the next. Auckland is being strangled by geographic constrictions & poor planning.

But yeah the open roads in the central NI & SI are great! N Zed's a cool country to trek around. Although saying that my mate can't wait to get back to London. He's applying to get his visa extended through sponsorship by a work place - or something along those lines.

I don't want to hijack this thread but one thing my mate commented on is that New Zealanders & Aussies are being squeezed out of jobs when on their traditional UK prilgramage due to your huge influx of Eastern European workers.

I think it's a sign of how 'European' the United Kingdom has become when Eastern Europeans as put before people from Commonwealth Realms (countries where the Queen is head of state) whether you like it or not. The tires of history are becoming faint. The United States of Europe is just around the corner.

I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing... just something that's happening.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Four million people live in New Zealand while one million New Zealanders live abroad. From memory the South Island has only ~1 million people while the North Island has ~3 million people. The population of Auckland is 1.2 million. As far as traffic jams are concerned one urban centre is pretty much the same as the next. Auckland is being strangled by geographic constrictions & poor planning.

But yeah the open roads in the central NI & SI are great! N Zed's a cool country to trek around. Although saying that my mate can't wait to get back to London. He's applying to get his visa extended through sponsorship by a work place - or something along those lines.

I don't want to hijack this thread but one thing my mate commented on is that New Zealanders & Aussies are being squeezed out of jobs when on their traditional UK prilgramage due to your huge influx of Eastern European workers.

I think it's a sign of how 'European' the United Kingdom has become when Eastern Europeans as put before people from Commonwealth Realms (countries where the Queen is head of state) whether you like it or not. The tires of history are becoming faint. The United States of Europe is just around the corner.

I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing... just something that's happening.

The United States of Europe is more than round the corner matey its bloody here and the influx of Imigarnts to the UK is well over subscibed, many English people losing /finding jobs already taken..Dont get me started :)

I'm going to NZ at Xmas time for 6 weeks I may never come back to the UK .

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The United States of Europe is more than round the corner matey its bloody here and the influx of Imigarnts to the UK is well over subscibed, many English people losing /finding jobs already taken..Dont get me started :)

I'm going to NZ at Xmas time for 6 weeks I may never come back to the UK .
I was in the process of moving to Auckland NZ by September this year but due to a number of things it all fell to sheet!

We even had the deposit down on a house in Takanini in the suburbs of Auckland!:(

I love NZ and it will happen eventualy........just not yet.

Sorry to hijack;)

·
Registered
rover_75
597 Posts
But it's not only the handbrake switch. I can pull the handbrake up one notch and drive slowly and I get the picture. But if I speed up the tv still turns off!
There is a speed sensor wire in there also.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
But it's not only the handbrake switch. I can pull the handbrake up one notch and drive slowly and I get the picture. But if I speed up the tv still turns off!
There is a speed sensor wire in there also.
Think it goes off above 5 mph.

Think there was a thread about this before and the guy couldn't make it stop on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts