MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, some advice please before I spend mooooorrrrre money......
Rover 75 2.0 Petrol - original problem was car wouldn't start, starter motor just clicked; Replaced the battery and all was fine for a couple of months. Problem re-occurred, checked battery and was ok, so bought another starter motor. However, when I fitted it, again it just clicked with the new one! I put the old starter back on and it worked and has worked ok for a month! Now it's started clicking again. Sometimes it'll go first turn of the key, other times it will crank 1/2 a turn or once and then stop, but most of the time it will just click. After 10 or 12 turns of the key it just might crank and start no problem. All my instincts tell me it's the starter, but why would the replacement do the same thing - although it wasn't new, it was supposedly tested...

·
Registered
rover_75
72 Posts
Hi Mate

First question would be - did you buy the right size battery? If you did then the fault could be earthing. Try the following. Next time it just clicks put one end of a jump lead on eath terminal of battery and other end onto bare metal of engine as close to starter motor as you can conviniently get. Try starting, any better. You may have a dodgy earth from battery to engine block. If it starts with earth jumper you may need to replace the existing motor earth or run an additional one.

·
Registered
rover_75
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point thanks - I'll try it tonight. I went for the Heavy Duty AC Delco battery so it should be more than good enough. It does seem to be worse on damp mornings which could point to bad earth too, I guess. In having the starter motor out and replacing it, I would have disturbed the earth leads which may be why it's worked for a while. I'll post a reply if it cures it.

·
Registered
rover_75
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, no luck, and now it's jammed completely - just clicks everytime. Looks like a new starter motor is the only option, and hope it's that.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Starter Motor

Nope, no luck, and now it's jammed completely - just clicks everytime. Looks like a new starter motor is the only option, and hope it's that.
Got a funny feeling it's not that but haven't got an answer for you.
As I imagine a new starter motor is £200 + wouldn't it be better to ask an auto electrician for an opinion first.
Maybe Lucas or Bosch do a recon exchange which will surely be cheaper.
Got a nasty feeling that if you fit a new one and it's not that they won't take it back for credit. Good luck, let's know how you get on

·
Registered
2 Posts
rover 75 not starting

I also had this problem. Comes down to the way the starter motor is constructed. Pulled the starter appart, the clicking is solenoid engaging - problem is oxydation on copper contacts forming - also the copper wearing out and becomming thin - fortunately there is a way of replacing this copper without having to purchase a rippoff priced reconditioned bit. Thats the great thing about rover 75, a modern vehicle built like a hand made vehicle ( except for the stupid intake butterfly nutty bearings that are like an after thought - ) most of the bits can be pulled appart with simple tools.

I am pulling out the starter motor and repairing it today so will take photos of the repair sequence and post fyi.

·
Registered
R75 Diesel.
5,782 Posts
I also had this problem. Comes down to the way the starter motor is constructed. Pulled the starter appart, the clicking is solenoid engaging - problem is oxydation on copper contacts forming - also the copper wearing out and becomming thin - fortunately there is a way of replacing this copper without having to purchase a rippoff priced reconditioned bit. Thats the great thing about rover 75, a modern vehicle built like a hand made vehicle ( except for the stupid intake butterfly nutty bearings that are like an after thought - ) most of the bits can be pulled appart with simple tools.

I am pulling out the starter motor and repairing it today so will take photos of the repair sequence and post fyi.
Don't forget those photos. Show us how you repaired it . :taz:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts