MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 75 Roof Gutter Strips and door speaker connections

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  berniesbar 
#1 ·
How does the strip remove and refit as the end of mine is sticking up by the rear window and does not seem to want to go down.

ALso is it possible for the door speakers to be incorrectly connected IE reversed or does the plug on the end of the cable prevent incorrect polarity.

#2 ·
If the door speakers are the original equipment ones (OEM) then they do use multi plugs so crossed wires are v. unlikely. If you are referring to the tweeters then they don't always use plugs so confused wiring is more likely.

I've never known the roof channel to come out so I'm afraid I can't help there.

Regards

Mike

#3 ·
There is no way the door speaker can be connected wrong, the main speaker has a multiplug and the tweeter will either have a multiplug or the spade terminals will be of different sizes.

The roof strips normally have a metal slide on clip at both ends which holds them in place if they are not there we at work normally put some windscreen sealer under them and tape them down till the sealer has set this normally holds them secure.

#5 ·
RichK said:
Hmm, always wondered about a roof rack.

So the whole black strip (length of the roof) just slides out to reveal a gutter/rail under it?

Err not quite Rich no.

Within the gutter on each side are two bolt holes for mounting a tailored roof bars. The holes are covered by plastic plugs that come out when you need to put the bars on. The bars are Rover branded and Thule manufactured. Then you can mount a Thule rack onto the bars.

hth

Mike

#6 ·
MB2003@boo290 said:
The roof strips normally have a metal slide on clip at both ends which holds them in place if they are not there we at work normally put some windscreen sealer under them and tape them down till the sealer has set this normally holds them secure.
Had a look at them on my car tonight. There are no slide on clips on at either end.

hth

Mike

#7 ·
MikeM said:
Err not quite Rich no.

Within the gutter on each side are two bolt holes for mounting a tailored roof bars. The holes are covered by plastic plugs that come out when you need to put the bars on. The bars are Rover branded and Thule manufactured. Then you can mount a Thule rack onto the bars.

hth

Mike
Mike,

thanks for the comments on the roof bars. Are these avaialable solely as a rover part froom the dealer or are they a Thule part.

Thanks for your help

Derek

#8 ·
MB2003@boo290 said:
There is no way the door speaker can be connected wrong, the main speaker has a multiplug and the tweeter will either have a multiplug or the spade terminals will be of different sizes.

Thank you for that. I was wondering that as my 75 had three door handles replaced recently (faulty pitted chrome you know) and that it entailed stripping the door out to do if the speakers could have been disconnected and reconnected wrongly on polarity in the process. You seem to be putting my mind at rest on that one thank you.

Derek Lawrence

#9 ·
derek-lawrence@ said:
Mike,

thanks for the comments on the roof bars. Are these avaialable solely as a rover part froom the dealer or are they a Thule part.

Thanks for your help

Derek

Derek

afaik they are available from MGR dealers only, but there are a fair few new on ebay at the moment if you don't mind using it and you'll save around £50-60. Once you have the bars then you can buy all that fit them under the Thule brand from any motorist shop.

Thank you for that. I was wondering that as my 75 had three door handles replaced recently (faulty pitted chrome you know) and that it entailed stripping the door out to do if the speakers could have been disconnected and reconnected wrongly on polarity in the process. You seem to be putting my mind at rest on that one thank you.
If any speakers aren't working then its likely that the multi plugs have not been put back in properly

hth

Mike

#10 ·
Rover 25 Roof

I am confused and frustrated. Just bought a Rover 25. It has a 'Normal' roof with gutters that have thin black plastic strips that cover them. I want to remove the protective black strips to fit a roof bar. The strips move about 1" back and forth but it seems there will not come off or out! What am I doing wrong? Are they meant to be removed or what? What is underneath? There isnt any logic to them at all. Am I being too 'Kids Gloves' here? Should I force them out? Help please!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.