Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm considering buying a Rover 75 for my wife and have looked at the following:

Rover 75 Connossieur SE
Year 2000 on a V-plate
46k Miles
2.5ltr Petrol
Automatic
Parking sensors, rear blind & seat memory (Driver Intelli Pack?)
Moon Green
2 x owners

The car's available for £4995 whioch I think is a little too high, but it has low miles on the clock and is in immaculate condition.

I test drove the car and all seemed fine, however, on two occasions when decelerating I noticed the car lurched forward - It was almost as if the gearbox went from 2nd gear to neutral to 1st gear, rather than just 2nd to 1st.

The car has full dealer service history and has been owned by a lady driver since 2001, so I'd be surprised if the auto box was on it's way out after only 46k miles.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
I'm due to take the wife;s Jeep to the seller tonight to see if he will part-x so any info greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Simon G

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hi,
i got same car but 2.Lt

Seems a little dear to me, it this from a car dealer and come with any cover ?
look for old work recipts see if any work has been done, or any contact details for old owner and speak to them.

EDIT: lol nice sig AndBurG i just Registered on here but used the sig i use on my other fourms so im not coping you :p

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
The cambelts should have been replaced on the KV6 engine of that age (6 years or 90k miles, whichever is first). If this hasn't been done then you are looking at an immediate bill of between £400 and £600 approx depending on where you the work done.

It is not a job you can leave as bust belts will wreck the engine. Ask if it has been done and if not then knock the price of it off. If not done then it may suggest a car that hasn't been looked after.

Also the auto gearbox oil should have been replaced at 4 years-again if not done then definitely watch out as you will be looking at a bill around £1k to £1500 to get any problems sorted.

So check the service record and if not certain it might be best to walk away.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys

Price is a little high, however, the car is in immaculate condition, has the extra options fitted ontop of the standard spec, and has low miles - It's also the exact colour my wife wants so I'd be willing to pay a little over the top.
To be honest, I'm more interested in shifting my wife's Jeep so the deal will really depend on what's offered as part-ex (We've only had the Jeep 3-months but it's been a nightmare with zero response from the dealer we bought it from. My wife loved Jeeps until this one - Now she just want to get shot of it :/)

Seller has offered 6-month warranty.

It didn't occur to me check about the cam belt due to the low miles, but I'll certainly ask if it's been done.

Ref the gearbox oil, I'll ask whether this has been done.

The car "appears" to have been well looked after, but I guess there's a chance that due to the low miles it never occured to the previous owner that the cam-belt and ATF had a limited life, regardless of miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apologies - I#ve just discovered that there's a R75 specific forum on this site, so this post should really have been there!

I have one final question though - With the demise of Rover, what's the spare parts situation like in the event that I need to get something repaired/replaced urgently?

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
spare parts were made by a 3rd party, unipart I believe, who'll continue to make spare parts whilst theres still an abundance of rovers on the road :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well, the way I see it is if you can still get parts for a morris Minor manufactured 50 years ago there shouldn't be any problem for Rovers manufactured a year ago. Dunno how true that may be though.

·
Registered
rover_75
29 Posts
If the drop was in revs (say 2000 to 1000) and then back again, you might find the power valve is sticking (this is at the end of the inlet manifold on the drivers RH side - seems oil carbonises and makes the plastic valve stick when the engine closes the valve

ALso ask the dealer to put the car on a T4 OBD scanner and ask what the error codes results are

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
morris-mg said:
Well, the way I see it is if you can still get parts for a morris Minor manufactured 50 years ago there shouldn't be any problem for Rovers manufactured a year ago. Dunno how true that may be though.
There will not be any shortage of engine /transmission parts for many, many years. The only issue appears to be some body panels,mainly things that get bumped like bumpers,grills,fenders and bonnets but in reality there are current models cars with exactly the same issues with panel parts.So,in short, I wouldn't worry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts