MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also have this wind noise problem that occurs intermittently in my Rover 75 Con SE (without cruise). It seems to come from the front of the car and when I first heard it I thought it was the radio.

It may be ok for weeks and then it will appear out of the blue at 65+ mph.

I wondered if there was some intake in the engine where it could come in but to be honest you would expect it to happen regularly if this was the case. I'm sure that some flap or other must be moving under the bonnet but I just cannot pinpoint anything. I think I will check the window seal as suggested in one of the earlier threads.

I love the Rover 75 but have already identified a number of faults that I have not experienced on any of my last 3 non-MGR cars (e.g. door unlocking problems, key fob range, window rattles and wind noise).
It's a really smooth car but it does seem to have quite a few niggling problems.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
alan75 said:
I also have this wind noise problem that occurs intermittently in my Rover 75 Con SE (without cruise). It seems to come from the front of the car and when I first heard it I thought it was the radio.

It may be ok for weeks and then it will appear out of the blue at 65+ mph.

I wondered if there was some intake in the engine where it could come in but to be honest you would expect it to happen regularly if this was the case. I'm sure that some flap or other must be moving under the bonnet but I just cannot pinpoint anything. I think I will check the window seal as suggested in one of the earlier threads.

I love the Rover 75 but have already identified a number of faults that I have not experienced on any of my last 3 non-MGR cars (e.g. door unlocking problems, key fob range, window rattles and wind noise).
It's a really smooth car but it does seem to have quite a few niggling problems.

I don't know about any of the other faults, but I understand that the key fob range issue is as a result of the battery. As the battery gets older, the range gets smaller. The same is true of some Ford remote fobs too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
EssexMGR said:
I don't know about any of the other faults, but I understand that the key fob range issue is as a result of the battery. As the battery gets older, the range gets smaller. The same is true of some Ford remote fobs too.
I bought my 2001 year 75 when it was about 8 months old and the fob still works fine. It's always been a bit sensitive about the angle of use but will work at a distance of 30 feet or more even now. (And that's the fob we use 95% of the time so the battery must be pretty low by now).

Where does your window rattle come from - is it the door locking pin? We get that a little. I think I saw a fix for that somewhere on this site?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
My key fob has been rubbish from day one. I can stand 2ft from the car and still have to press unlock four times (literally) for it to open.

Annoying when its pissing down with rain !

(changed battery twice now, just in case)

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
What year is your car?

I ask because the key fob issue was finally solved by mgr a few years back when they redesigned the system. It is a recognised 'feature' on some earlier mgr built cars and a pain in the proverbial. It is all about the location of the receiver or aerial-I get around it by sticking the key fob to my chin-gives me a range of 40 foot :) Without it I am in the same position as Rich:(

Wind noise-check that your bonnet is closing fully. They can look closed but not be. Otherwise it could be door seals. All has been logged on here over the years and a search will find the full stories for you.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Mines 2001 Mike.

I've seen various threads here in the past about the location of the reciever, think the Major advised us that MGR moved it to (or was it from?) the center console area on later models.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can the central locking mechanism be moved from its current location to the new better location......or does this sound a bit pricey?

Also, about door opening in general, I think I have seen a thread somewhere stating that you can change the door opening (for all doors) to a single press of the key fob. Anyone know how you go about doing this?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
I had MGR turn on the one-touch unlock, handy if you've a family :)

Also had them turn on the speed related locking, handy again !

They charged me for it though !

Might be worth waiting until they're doing something else on the car Alan, then ask in a casual "oh yeah, and while you're doing x, can you turn on this?" kinda thing :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts