MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently bought a Rover 75 2.0 V6 Classic SE, which overall I am very pleased with (it's bit thirsty on the petrol though).

However, I have a couple of small problems and would appreciate some advice.

Firstly, the car is slightly 'jerky' when I'm going at slow speeds and the engine has warmed up. If the car had an old-fashioned manual choke I would say that it had been left out a bit. I would imagine that the petrol/air mixture needs a little adjustment - is this something that only a Rover dealer (or ex-dealer) can do?

Secondly, I am getting an intermittent vibrating noise from the engine bay when I accelerate. It is like a low-pitched 'moaning' and sounds like something is vibrating against something else. I had a service last week and the garage had a quick look to see if there was anything readily apparent. They reckon it's coming from the back of the engine underneath the plastic moulding shaped like an exhaust manifold. Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening?

Thanks very much for your input.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What reg and miles?

No. 1 - Could be related to below, otherwise, not sure, do any of you lot think this could be a fuel pump prob ?

No. 2 - sounds like VIS valves, lots of posts on them and pics. Does it give you some grunt in 2nd when you floor it as it passess 3000 RPM? It should, as valves open at that point and let in more air.

(Or could be bit of heat shield under manifold rattling - where it bolts onto subframe it rots).

·
Registered
mg_zt
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply JohnA

It is a W reg with 52,000 miles on the clock.

I may be wrong but I don't think the noise is valve-related. It sounds more like something vibrating against something else. Could be the heat shield - I will check that thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts