MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Jag X-Type on the Internet and seen just how Ford-ish it is!! The key has been taken straight off a Mondeo, the memory seats are just like Ford and the engines are Ford!! I'm sorry but if anyone says that an X-Type is better than the 75 they needs a smack! At least the 75 has BMW underpinnings (not a good thing but better than Ford at least) and the 75 is a lot more comfortable too!

Why buy an X-Type when you can buy a Rover 75???

·
Registered
317 Posts
Agree completley.

We have had a few X-Types and S-Types for that matter threw at the garage i work (we sell Mercs, BMWs, Audis, VW's and Porsches)

You go round the car, and there are so many ford bits, (i dont know about the most rescent models) but you sit in it, and it just doesnt feel special, it might not scream at you but all you can think is.. im in a glammed up mondeo - not that theres anything wrong with that.

You go and sit in an XK8, it feels like something special, the x-type just feels a bit cheap, theres so many ford bits all over the place, as if jaguar are trying to remind of its orgiions.

a 75 with the right spec over an x-type every time

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
MG ROVER Wins

I was looking for an X Type 12 months ago, a 2.0 Sport version in Black. However, when i sat in it all the switchgear felt very cheap and the stereo is just uplifted from a typical Ford.

I sat in an MG ZT and it fitted like a glove. I love it's uniqueness and it still gets people looking when it's clean. So i opted for an MG ZT CDTi+ 135bhp and it's great. Just wish the clutch was not so stiff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I looked at an X type last year before opting for a 75 135 club se, I have two workmates with the 2.0D X type and they have had many mechanical problems.

I am glad I didnt spend the extra 7 grand, I have a comfortable, reliable car

·
Registered
mg_zr
954 Posts
red_rover said:
Sorry, no BMW underpinnings on the 75. Its all Rover. Which is a very very good thing.
That's not entirely true - while the majority of the 75 was designed by Rover engineers and is unique to Rover, there is a substantial portion of mechanical and electrical components that were borrowed from the BMW parts bin - the Z-axle rear suspension, the electrical system, air conditioning and SatNav, and the 2.0 turbodiesel engine.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
My old man had a 3.0 X-Type Sport for 6 months (he hated it and went back to his XJ8 barges! :lol: )

My opinion is that the X-Type isn't a Jaguar, it's a Ford Scorpio. Got the toys and the leather of the old Scorpio, but not the panache of a Jaguar - there is just too much Ford and not enough flair to make it special. I also felt the cabin was cramped (particularly B posts intruding on driver shoulder room) and bland with the dark wood (it was a Sport model). Liked the SatNav system, touch screen made it very easy to use and also liked the voice activated controls (although my old man never got to grips with them). The other ting i thought was an excellent idea was the 'drawer' in the boot (under the parcel shelf) which held bits and pieces - want one for my ZT please :)

Overall though, it was nice, but the ZT has a certain somthing that makes it special, the X-Type felt a bit too run of the mill.

·
Registered
mg_zr
954 Posts
I'd have to say that I consider the BMW designed rear suspension axle used on the Rover 75 as a BMW underpinning, after all, what does suspension do if not underpin the car? If it wasn't a BMW underpinning, and they didn't have to pay a royalty to BMW for every car they build using it, they wouldn't be in such a hurry to remove it from RD/X60/Project Nexus (or whatever the hell it's being called this week) in favour of a cheaper, and royalty payment free torsion beam axle.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I looked at a X-type when hunting for my last car.

The dealer seemed really good and I like the look and size of the car but the panel gaps were H-U-G-E ...... I mean REALY BIG and it made the whole car look awful. :sick2:

The more recent ones look better but compared to the spec and price of the ZT it was just not wort it. The dash seems to be a copy of the 75/ZT but, somehow, does not seem to work.

I wish the X-type well though and compared to the mundain euro-boxes you get from the Germans they look great. A friend replaced his 3-series with a diesel X-type and says its miles better to live with.

AL

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have looked at the X type as a replacement for my 600 (a hard act to follow) but when sitting inside it was no more special than the 600 - a thousand fold better than a Merc C type though.

The next car will be a 75 (Tourer probably) its just a question of when - unless I do end up winning a P5B on e-bay!

·
Registered
65 Posts
This X-type thing, it's just a Mondeo with a new styling imho. But a Mondeo is a front-wheel drive car. So they made a 4x4 first, in order to avoid shocking their traditional customers. But they don't care anymore. Now you can get a front-wheel drive Jag, too.

Wasn't there the weird use of switches from the Fiesta in an Aston Martin dashboard one day? Oh my goodness, Ford. But that's American management...:shake:

·
Registered
65 Posts
BTW, I had a close look at the X-Type, too. It's not as special as a Jag should be. It's only an American style Jag.

The S-Type is a different kettle of fish of course. There you can still feel the genes of a real (british) Jag. But it's out of my price range.

So I replaced my '98 reg 400 with a 75. I don't regret it... :cloud9:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts