MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I have a 2001 Rover 75 Club SE which has just under 100K miles. Mechanically the cars been faultless for the 18 months that I have had it.

Anyway over the last week or so it has developed a fault where when I drive for a few miles and park. The car will not start again. When I turn the ignition key, I get all the electrics and the display on the dash but the engine doesn't turns over at all, its just dead.

The first time it happend the AA engineer came and asked me to remove my key from the ignition and lock the car and then after about a minute unlock it and try again, Its started straight away (even though I had been trying to start it for over an hour). He said that the immobilors may have activated itself if the battery charge is low?? Is this true??

Anyway the car starts first time every morning. I drive to work park up and switch the car off. When I start it again, I get nothing. So I have left it and tried it again a few hours later still wont' start. Luckily when I leave work around 5pm it starts. I drive home, park up, switch off and lock the car. I then unlock it and start it again and it doesn't start. When I try again in the morning it starts again but today after work it just wouldn't start so i had to leave it there.

This is getting really really frustrating. So could it be the immobilisor thats kicking in??? Has anyone come across this before?? Any advise\tips will be most appreaciated, Thankyou & aplogies for the post being so soo long :) Erik

·
Registered
243 Posts
i have just had the very same experience with my 75..and the guys here narrowed it down the a faulty cell in the battery..one new battery later all is good..have you noticed its doing it now the colder weather is here??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, well the problem started 2 sundays ago when it first happend but its starts ok even on the coldest mornings but not afterwards. How did a new battery set u back?? and was that from Rover??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Major, Have 2 keys for the car but have the same problem even if I use the other key. I'm going to start the car during my lunch break and if it starts, I'm going straight to Halfords for a new battery as Stef suggested, hopefully that will work, if not then its a expensive visit to the stealers :-(

Its very intermittent, I used the car over the whole of the weekend making different journeys and had no problems at all. Come monday morning starts ok, 10 minutes later after i park it and start again, nothing happens, not even clicking from the starter motor. I'm hoping its not the immobilisor as the AA man suggested. An y thoughts on that major???
Thanks again, this site is fantastic.

R

·
0 Posts
erik said:
The first time it happend the AA engineer came and asked me to remove my key from the ignition and lock the car and then after about a minute unlock it and try again, Its started straight away (even though I had been trying to start it for over an hour). He said that the immobilors may have activated itself if the battery charge is low?? Is this true??
Disconnecting the battery will trigger the immobiliser, so I suspect that a low charge may do the same (especially if you crank the engine over and reduce voltage further).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rich,
Here is an update. Started the car this morning, started ok, checked battery indicator which was black (means battery needs charging). Anyway drove to halfords paid £75 for a new battery which the halfords chap fitted. He put something into the cig lighter port and said something about my radio codes wouldn't be required.

Anyway after all that, started car, still nothing exactly same problem as before, engine not turning over at all. So I'm going to try it again in a couple of hours, if it doesn't start then will call AA and have them tow the car to local rover dealer. So looks like it may cost me lots £ssssssss to have this sorted, I am really starting to lose faith and patience in the car now. I still think its something to do with the Immobilisor. Any other ideas most welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your advice everyone. I know exactly what the problem is. After replacing the battery, the car still wouldn't start and was in Halfords car park. AA came out, engineer had a look around for 20 minutes and he finally found the fault. It was the starter motor solonoid. AA chap tapped with a hammer and car started straight away. He said if Halford had the part, he would replace it, but halfords didn't have it in stock but could order it, the cost was £253 ouch and that was after handing in the old one. AA engineer said that if the problem continued then change the starter motor or have it repaired (much cheaper). I've been driving the car since yesterday and haven't had any problems yet. Maybe the tapping the solonoid did the trick. Yipeeeeeeee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts