MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read Rover 75 threads on this subject and note that shorting pins 4 and 8 on the diagnostic socket is said to reset the indicator. Checking the wiring diagrams, pin 4 is earth, pin 8 goes to the instrument pack (skt c0233 pin 5) and ABS ECU (skt c0501 pin 11). Although this method was suggested in the threads, nobody appears to have reported success (one or two said it did nothing!). Can anyone supply confirmation before I take this - possibly risky - step?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
The success rate seems to be about 50/50. Might be dependant on year/model ?

If at all in doubt, don't risk it !

Your local garage may have service reset tools, they'll probably only charge you a fiver for the reset :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
75 service reset update

jvs said:
Have read Rover 75 threads on this subject and note that shorting pins 4 and 8 on the diagnostic socket is said to reset the indicator. Checking the wiring diagrams, pin 4 is earth, pin 8 goes to the instrument pack (skt c0233 pin 5) and ABS ECU (skt c0501 pin 11). Although this method was suggested in the threads, nobody appears to have reported success (one or two said it did nothing!). Can anyone supply confirmation before I take this - possibly risky - step?

An update on this and related threads - Have just had the 75 serviced at Nationwide Autocentres ( nice job btw) but they couldn't reset the service interval countdown . So , I decided to have a go at terminals 8 and 4 with a carefully crafted piece of bent wire - It worked first time ! For the record , this was on a 51 reg 2L v6 conn ; the countdown interval only appears briefly so i inserted one end of the high tech bent wire into pin 8 and as soon as the service figure appeared I just flashed the other end onto pin4 - no more than a second . The countdown reset to 15000 , and everything else has been working ok since yesterday , so I'll be doing this again . Please note ,like someone else said , this worked for me on my model but i dont know if they are all the same so we all do this at our own risk !

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Look under and to the right of the steering wheel, might have a little dust cover over it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
e668ecp said:
Where is the connector located - I've got a ZT 2004
lower edge of facia , above pedals , to the right of the steering wheel .Best seen from outside with the door open , on your knees !

·
Registered
rover_75
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It worked!

Took the plunge and earthed pin 8 while service indicator was showing. Seemed to need a couple of seconds contact. Anyway, back to 15000 now! That's on a 75 Tourer diesel Jan 02.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
My 75 is having it's 60,000/4 Year Service on Monday so I shall be trying this reset trick too.

Am I correct in thinking that I simply insert a wire into hole 8 and hole 4 at the same time ?

Also my Service Indicator is currently showing -2800, has it gone too far to be reset ?

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
*DLN* said:
Am I correct in thinking that I simply insert a wire into hole 8 and hole 4 at the same time ?
Yes, and afaik you need to do so in the few seconds when the miles to service figure appears just after switch on.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
IT WORKED !

The trick is to insert a piece of wire into hole 4 before turning the igintion to position 2 and then quickly insert the other end of the wire into hole 8 as soon as you have turned the ignition to position 2.

I'm now back at 'OIL SERVICE 15,000' and the car is only being serviced tomorrow :lol:

·
Registered
300 Posts
*DLN* said:
I've just checked my copy of the RAVE CD and MGR advise the use of this method if T4 (workshop workstation) is unavailable.

Remember hole 4 before hole 8 !
It also works fine with hole 8 before hole 4 ! see my post #5 above
Chris

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Apologies for being a dimwit here, but which are holes 4 and 8? (no one say the ones next to 3 and 9 please!!)

Had a look yesterday and couldn't see obvious numbering.

Cheers,

CAM

1 - 20 of 266 Posts