MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sat in my car yesterday on the M60 car park waiting for some movement when I noticed that the centre console, stereo, climate control and auto gearshift are all designed primarily for use in a LHD vehicle.

The handbrake lever is clearly positioned for use in a LHD vehicle as is the sport/winter/normal switch on the auto transmission.

The climate control on/off switch is also located on the left hand side as is the on/off button for the stereo.

How rude !

·
Registered
rover_75
209 Posts
David Lee Newsham said:
I was sat in my car yesterday on the M60 car park waiting for some movement when I noticed that the centre console, stereo, climate control and auto gearshift are all designed primarily for use in a LHD vehicle.

The handbrake lever is clearly positioned for use in a LHD vehicle as is the sport/winter/normal switch on the auto transmission.

The climate control on/off switch is also located on the left hand side as is the on/off button for the stereo.

How rude !

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=127260&page=3

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
As are the vast majority of cars built, whether UK designed or not........

I like it 'cos as a left hander driving a rh car it means most everything is where it should be :)

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
358 Posts
From another southpaw, I agree wholeheartedly. Gear lever in the left hand and all!!! Feels more natural.

Just as an aside, Car Mechanics have been running a service article for a late 800 coupe (KV6 engine), and I noticed the brake servo is mounted on the nearside of the engine compartment. Considering the car was designed by Rover from UK and Honda from Japan (both RH drive countries), this seems unusual. Many LH drive country designed cars (Vauxhalls for example) have the servo/ master cylinder on the nearside with rods and links joining to the brake pedal.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm left handed too !

Shame about the handbrake lever though, I've never really noticed it before but it does look quite odd positioned for use by the passenger.

From now on I shall have to inform my passenger when I require the handbrake to be apllied !

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
lol @ David

I actually prefer the h/brake where it is because I don't feel 'crowded in' when using it as I would if it was closer. It makes for much easier donuts and h/brake turns when putting R40 through its paces ;)

Mike

G

·
EnEnGee said:
Just as an aside, Car Mechanics have been running a service article for a late 800 coupe (KV6 engine), and I noticed the brake servo is mounted on the nearside of the engine compartment. Considering the car was designed by Rover from UK and Honda from Japan (both RH drive countries), this seems unusual.
That's more to do with the size and shape of the KV6 engine than any conspiracy!

·
Registered
358 Posts
On the subject of left hands an interesting observation (or perhaps not).

I work in the engineering industry, and I have long noticed that "left handedness" is far more common among engineers and architects than would be expected as a random proportion of the population, which I believe is around 1:10. Must be something to do with how the brain is wired, or something like that.

·
Registered
709 Posts
MikeM said:
lol @ David

I actually prefer the h/brake where it is because I don't feel 'crowded in' when using it as I would if it was closer. It makes for much easier donuts and h/brake turns when putting R40 through its paces ;)

Mike
I noticed being "crowded in" several times on the way home. In fact, Mrs Rovernut was hogging the centre arm-rest most of the journey. I remember having to elbow her out of the way several times. Not easy doing handbrake turns with a caravan in tow:yikes:

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Ah yes I recognise that problem Rovernut. I did find a solution though.........I only let the missus sit in the back ;)

G

·
EnEnGee said:
On the subject of left hands an interesting observation (or perhaps not).

I work in the engineering industry, and I have long noticed that "left handedness" is far more common among engineers and architects than would be expected as a random proportion of the population, which I believe is around 1:10. Must be something to do with how the brain is wired, or something like that.
Left handed people are supposed to be more creative/artistic.

Or to put it more appropriately, a greater percentage of artistic/creative people are left handed than in the general population at large.

In my case I manage to be creative and still write (right?) with the proper hand!

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Richard Moss said:
Left handed people are supposed to be more creative/artistic.

Or to put it more appropriately, a greater percentage of artistic/creative people are left handed than in the general population at large.

In my case I manage to be creative and still write (right?) with the proper hand!
Hi Richard,

:lol: You may write with your right hand but not your proper hand ;) Just think how much more creative you could be if only you were left handed :dddc:

My Dad was left handed but had it literally beaten out of him at school. My primary and junior teachers didn't got that far but I was always told by them that my writing was rubbish and I really should use the correct hand:twak:

Cheers

Mike :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Latin word for left is sinister. One explanation for this is in shaking hands. People would shake hands on meeting to show that they didn't have a dagger (or similar weapon) in their (right) hand so they couldn't stab you as soon as they met you. However if you were left handed, you could shake someone's hand (with your right hand) and still be able to effectively use your left hand to stab someone. Therefore left-handed people were considered potentially more dangerous and "sinister". The moral of the story is to not shake MikeM or David’s hands as they might be trying to stab you. I am right handed, so am therefore much nicer, and have never stabbed anyone.

G

·
Unfortunately for lefties, language does indeed imply that itis wrong.

Sinister, gauche etc imply something is awry.
Dexterous, adroit imply good or able.
Ambidexterous - having two right hands.

Etc....

We use "right" for correct, for example.

For the record, my dad and eldest daughter are lefties, even though I'm not.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I am left handed and was always being told off in school for being so. The reason a left handed kids writing is messy is the hand follows the pen and smudges the ink while a right handed person the pen follows the hand.

Anyone seen the left handed shop in London? great for gadgets and its on the web nowadays as well.

As this is a 75 related forum the switches handbrake etc are all in the correct place for me.

As for the original post saying the 75 was designed for LHD no idea but it suits me just the way it is.

Ken

·
Registered
358 Posts
Another sign of the BMW (ie LH drive) DNA is the position of the fuel filler. A majority of cars designed in the UK and Japan have the filler on the nearside of the vehicle ("Proper" Mini, R8, R600, SD1, old Fords (not recent ones which are predominantly German engineered), most Japanese cars for example.

R75 has it's fuel filler on the offside (drivers side in UK). Did it use a BMW sourced tank and filler neck design?

Just a thought....

·
Registered
rover_75
203 Posts
Most British and Japanese right hand drive cars have their exhaust outlets on the offside, the 75 has its on the near side except the V8 of course.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Again having the fuel filler on the right hand side works very well for me. It saves having to walk around the car for starters!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts