MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Hehehe coool! :D

Any idea what the film is about? It seems to be a film about a guy buying a wrecked old house or something...:S

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
Translation

"The House of Happiness" - self explanatory?

A Mk1 75 Connoisseur SE if I'm not mistaken - one of may neighbours has one just like that!

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
red_rover said:
No, but I've heard about it, and seen it on that site. The car looks exactly like mine! I want to see that film so badly :(
Easiest way to do that is to get an FTA satellite system and point it to a sat that transmits French channels - it's bound to be on TV sometime :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
red_rover said:
Hehehe coool! :D

Any idea what the film is about? It seems to be a film about a guy buying a wrecked old house or something...:S
It's a comedy about moving house. The chap driving the Rover is the estate agent. The reason he's driving like a nut is he wants to convince the buyer that the house is only a short drive from...... etc, etc.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Lord Minty said:
Easiest way to do that is to get an FTA satellite system and point it to a sat that transmits French channels - it's bound to be on TV sometime :)
"What Satellite" recently responded to a bloke who wanted Free To Air French TV. There isn't any! well, not much, anyway. They have a Sky-like subscription-only setup for most channels including the main ones. Wait for it to be on "Arte" perhaps...actually, there are so many channels it'll be on something else too and let's face it, unless you speak drunken French, subtitles would be rather a good idea...

I wonder what the Rover 75 is in French? The "Carry On" team had a Foreign Legion fort called Fort SoissanteNeuf (OK, I won't translate, yet another "single entendre" - this time on Fort Zinderneuf)...75 would be "soixante-quinze" but, in Germany, at least, the dealers were told to pronounce it "seventy-five"...

NB it's just struck me. "Soixante-quinze" literally means "sixty-fifteen" but, in Belgium only, there is a different word "septante" meaning "seventy" so 75 is "septante-cinq". I'm not going to mention 80, which in French (not Belgian) French is "four twenties" or 96 ("four twenties-sixteen" in French French). No manufacturer should ever market a car in France/Belgium with a number over 69 or they'll have to record all the adverts twice!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
patpending said:
glad you liked it. Isn't it nice when people are nice to each other on the internet? By the way, Citroën C4, I think your dance is fantastic! ;)
lol, great ad indeed!

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
guys, looks like any film that's got that amount of excerpts on the interrent is a brand new one that you can't get in a computery way yet. I see it's only due out in French cinemas in June...

There is a long and proud tradition of featuring oddballs in French films. They are never remembered as having contributed anything to the film, unlike the female lead, who (as in this case) is mainly remembered for two outstanding talents, the left one and the right one.

What's the name of that hilarious film where a successful rich bloke deliberately invites the most useless trainspottery people to have tea at his place? I'll wager it's "Le Dîner des C...OK, des Stupides..." The main plot to this film seems to be that the agent has mis-sold the house, hence the "BOOM! right, we've found the gas, guvnor" quote. It reminds me of "The Money Pit" where the plumbers turn up (if at all) in Rolls-Royces...let alone "Bottom"...

Let's face it, we were hoping that "V for Vendetta" would be a Roverfest. I trust the contribution of the "sixty-fifteen" is still there in the final film in this case.

As for the French language part, I had virtually forgotten the French for "bank statement" until I heard the face above the female lead's main talents say it. She calls him a "Redon" too, or something*. As far as I knew that was a town in the French Ardennes, so I want subtitles too!

(*even if she said "Revin", the same applies! ;) )

(EDIT NB the film you can get is "les Feux Rouges" which (for French lovers haha) I would translate as "traffic lights", if not "the late Communists...;) )

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
patpending said:
glad you liked it. Isn't it nice when people are nice to each other on the internet? By the way, Citroën C4, I think your dance is fantastic! ;)
Have you seen the 2CV version of this ad ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts