MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been performing an oil service on a 3 year old CDT, and when removing the front undertray I was surprised to see how scanty the paint protection on parts of the front subframe are, mainly on joins and at welds. Needless to say I've gone OTT wiht rust converter and wax, but if thought I'd post this thread to say if you haven't had that tray off, do so, before winter, and get some protection in there!!

Also, when you buy the oil filter from Rover dealers, (Pt No. LRF100150) you get said filter, a large 'O' ring for fitment on the oil filter housing cap, and also a small copper washer, which looks to be a drain plug washer. Except there ain't any way this washer would fit on the drain plug, its far to small.....

is it for anything else, that I've not contemplated?

Also had a good look at the turbo when under the car, and its very small....almost felt sorry for it.!!

CAM

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
The smaller the turbo, the more responsive it is at low revs.

I'd far rather have a smaller snail and useable power at 1700/1900rpm than a big huffer and no useable low down power....

Better still, have a VNT turbo like on my A4 :)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Major Ingram said:
The smaller the turbo, the more responsive it is at low revs.

I'd far rather have a smaller snail and useable power at 1700/1900rpm than a big huffer and no useable low down power....

Better still, have a VNT turbo like on my A4 :)
True,

The only turbo's I've had experience of have been petrol numbers, and the most recent was the one on my old Volvo 760 turbo, which was like a dustbin lid. I presume VAG must have a very good patent on the VNT, as no other manufacturer utilises them,,,do they?

I'd have thought the flaking paint on the welds etc. would be a problem (eventually). There's also 2 horrible little potential rust traps on them, one at the rear of the sill where the rear wheel fires stones etc. into a small ledge half hidden by the wheel arch liner, Fills up with stones etc. and holds moisture, and at the front, another little horizontal ledge (can feel it if you lie on your back and run hand over sill/floorpan join towards front wheel) smack back in the firing line for stones off the front wheels.

Haven't seen any go there yet, and I guess rust inhibiting primers are getting better and better, but a couple of hours each year with the wax should keep em sound!

CAM

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MattL said:
I thought the turbos on the BMW diesel were VNT. THe same engine on a Freelander definately is!
Really? I thought it was the same as the CDT/CDTi, and they're quite a traditional design of turbo.

CAM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts