MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my Rover 75 was stolen and then recovered, but the toe rags removed the engine and a lot of mechanical bits and pieces, I have been paid out by the insurance company and they offered the car to me at a knockdown price.Amazingly the bodywork is in exelent condition, so I am looking for a Rover 75 with damaged or missing bodywork but it must have a working engine and most of its mechanicals.I can be contacted at [email protected] or my mobile number is 07718 757762.thanks.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
To be honest, I think you should have just taken the money and bought a new one. The one you put back together wont be worth much when you come to sell it

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
We still need to know what engine size & type.

There's no way I'd fit a petrol in place of a diesel or vice-versa.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello people, thank you for your replies, the original car had a K series 1800 engine, which has been removed along with every thing else atatched to it, when you look in the engine bay it is completely empty, I bought the car back from the insurance company for £175 and I am going to rebuild it as a project, time is not important as I have bought another car, I was thinking of putting a MG engine or a V6 and possibly souping it up and adding go faster stripes and body parts.
I would like to know what is on offer out ther and I am intending to take photos and post them.
Regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello people, I forgot to ask if any one knows what engines will fit into a 75, does it have to be a Rover K series engine, can engines from other models be installed I would appreciate any advice.
Regards

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Note that things like instruments etc are different for diesels, for instance, redlining at 4500rpm, so there is more to consider than just the engine and ancilliaries, and some electronics cannot be reprogrammed if bought 2nd hand.

However, I do not intend trying to discourage you, far from it, I built my own KitCar and know the satisfaction of driving something I have built myself. I suppose financially it could be a money pit, but there's always the safety valve of eBay for disposal of parts, if you grind to a halt.

Look forward to progress reports!!

Malcolm

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Hello people, I forgot to ask if any one knows what engines will fit into a 75, does it have to be a Rover K series engine, can engines from other models be installed I would appreciate any advice.
Regards
It it had the 1.8 K in the first place, you could fit:
  • Another standard 1.8 K
  • A 1.8 K Turbo
  • A 1.8 K VVC

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hello, my Rover 75 was stolen and then recovered, but the toe rags removed the engine and a lot of mechanical bits and pieces, I have been paid out by the insurance company and they offered the car to me at a knockdown price.Amazingly the bodywork is in exelent condition, so I am looking for a Rover 75 with damaged or missing bodywork but it must have a working engine and most of its mechanicals.I can be contacted at [email protected] or my mobile number is 07718 757762.thanks.

Not wishing to hijack your thread, but I am a little intrigued as to how your car was stolen. This happened to me last year in France, and my car was eventually recovered with no damage. However in my case the thief stole my car keys, so it was dead easy.

So was it the same in your case? I would be very concerned if they managed to hot-wire it, as I have considered the "75" as pretty thief proof.

Colin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no idea how it was stolen but there appears to be marks on the drivers door and the drive shaft has been cut so I would presume that it had been towed at some point.
But if you do a quick search on gogle there are loads of ways to get into cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your replies, but what I was thinking of is either buy a salvage car and just swop everything over, or do a complete rebuild and install a faster engine etc, as I said time is not important it will be a long term project for my son and myself.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have no idea how it was stolen but there appears to be marks on the drivers door and the drive shaft has been cut so I would presume that it had been towed at some point.
But if you do a quick search on gogle there are loads of ways to get into cars.
Of course. I was forgetting that the car as a whole could just be lifted up or towed. It does make you wonder about where & how you park though.

As regards your project, I would personally collect the bits to replace what's missing, trying to keep it as near to what it was, as much as possible.

Anyway I wish you well, sounds fun.

Colin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts