MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have my eye on both of these cars but cant decide they are both on a 52 plate and seem to have identical spec having spoken to a few people it is quite split some say the omega is a superior ride others say rover 75 have more of a luxury feel what do people think thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would say omega.

Loads more room in the back in an omega.
Omega is more comfortable in the front. (I hate the rover passenger front seat without the optional height adjustment).

Omega handles nicer.

Ok, the rover is more english inside, with german features of poor seating.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
My Mum has just gone from a Vauxhall Omega CDX 2.5 V6 Automatic on a 1998 S reg, to a Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur Automatic on an 03 plate.

She finds the 75 better in every way, except the rear seat space, where the Omega was alot bigger.

The handling on the Omega she found to be awful - very skittish, she described it as.

·
Registered
82 Posts
see what i mean it is very split anyone else have an opinion thanks
I had a carlton diplomat (mutts nut spec predecessor to omega) and I loved it.100% reliable nice to drive and good build quality.I would imagine that the omega has taken these virtues and made them better.I sold the car after 4 trouble free years due to the 2000 petrol fiasco-the worst mistake I ever made.As for the 75- having only had one for just over a week-nice to drive smooth and quiet ,build ok,but so far repair bill at £430...........

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Dads previous Omega was comftable and roomy. But it wasn't great to drive, the dash felt as though it was made out of lego and it was constantly having electrical problems.

Its a good main-stream executive car but the Rover 75 is in a totally (much higher) class in its exectution. And its safer.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Both are fine cars. The Omega has it on handerling only when it's set up right mind as there is plenty of bad ones out there. But the 75 wins in every other thing apart from space in the back.

The Omega is well built but there are a few problems on them and the tensioners go every 40K if your lucky with them been plastic they tend to go before hand.

I myself who has had two Omega's a 95 N reg 2.0 Auto which was a GLS with all the trimmings including the rear electric blind etc and a 2002 2.2 diesel CDX would never have another again over a 75 but thats done to my choice. The 75 is so much more refinde and has a more posative feel when driving that said you cant beat a rear wheel drive car for a bit of fun in the bends.

As said test both but with the Vauxhall make sure it has a full service history and make sure everything electrical works. I mean test everything a good many timies not just once.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Both are superb vehicles, & there is nothing wrong with vauxhalls engineering, I did 185,000 miles in my last vectra.

Its going to be personal taste, just test drive both and see which one suits you.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I thought the ride in the Omega was impressive - but the Rover 75 still manages to wipe the floor with it (but theres very FEW cars that can beat the 75 for ride).
Ive been an Omega last year and thought the ride was nice and smooth. Ive never been in a Rover 75 but I really want to! So many people say how smooth it is and each time I hear that it makes me want to go in a 75 even more!

No one I know has a 75! grrr!

·
Registered
922 Posts
My Mum has just gone from a Vauxhall Omega CDX 2.5 V6 Automatic on a 1998 S reg, to a Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur Automatic on an 03 plate.

She finds the 75 better in every way, except the rear seat space, where the Omega was alot bigger.

The handling on the Omega she found to be awful - very skittish, she described it as.
WOW no no no LOL, I am not having that Ian.

I do certain bends on the way to work and my (V) Mega V6 2.5 CDX auto with Dunlop SP 01 Sports did them as fast and more comfortable as my 190 does now.

Ok the 190 does have a little more edge and may be I could do them a bit faster, but I am talking about 1** plus bends.

The Mega is bigger and heavier, and has loads more extras than my 190.

Also, the Mega max'd at the limiter at 85mph in SECOND gear! My 190 can't do that in third!

The kick down to 2nd saw 50 to 80mph in about 3 seconds!

I love my ZT beyond question, but my Mega has it good points also.

Electric sunroof/mirrors/windows/seats, climate controlled AC, cruise control, onboard puter, TM, full audio/Multi CD box/Radio wheel control (and illuminated) big comfy heated seats, cuddly toy etc.

Push to shove, the 190 does have the sporting edge, quicker turning and much faster off the line due to manual box and low ratio cogs. But the Mega is just as fast in a different way, and more comfortable.

Now then, let's see your mother reply to that Ian not you :bgrin2:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dads previous Omega was comftable and roomy. But it wasn't great to drive, the dash felt as though it was made out of lego and it was constantly having electrical problems.

Its a good main-stream executive car but the Rover 75 is in a totally (much higher) class in its exectution. And its safer.
What Mega was it?

The dash in my Mega was fine, it all worked and solid.

The only dash on my 190 is the AC unit. They put the hazzard lamp button in the worst place possible, ie, where I put my left hand down to push myself up in the seat on long trips, and then wonder why people are flashing me.

I have only had the ZT 190, so I shouldn't comment about the rest of the 75 fleet. But I have had a Mega for 5 years and over 150K on the clock and everything still works! So I have to defend it. In fact it is still on my drive and would driving it if not for a blown head gasket.

But if they still did a Mega 2.5 V6 and a ZT 190, I would still go for the ZT now. Without a doubt.

But then I have had both, a lot of people haven't. So it's not fair to slag the Mega.

For comfort, handling and speed, I would take the Mega V6 CDX.

For fun and grin factor, I would take the 190 everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

·
Registered
180 Posts
SAAB 9-5 3.0 V6 Turbo Diesel??

GMAN75,

I have a 51 plate and up for sale...prob should not butt in but its to help me get in a ZT so guess I maybe excused....?

£6895 and having owned BMW, Merc, Volvo and yes a Rover 75 Connoisseur maybe other than the BMW its the most comfortable car I have ever owned!
I did love the 75 too...hence going for a ZT 260 but sorry in my opinion the 9-5 is just so smooth in every respect.
Power to MGP is the best too...177BHP and yet 36 MPG is usual and had 52 on a long run..

Get this too....its basically a Vaxhall Omega!! But driven one of these too...a mate had a 2.5 V6 Petrol and I replaced the rocker gaskets drove that...nice but again not a smooth as the SAAB.

I'm in Bolton....you're more than welcome to take it for a test drive and make your own mind up...I wont mind if your not convinced!

Coffee's free!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Coffee

Do I have to DAD, does that mean I gotta make MUM one too...

Hey if your interested in the SAAB you can take a flask full matey!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Do I have to DAD, does that mean I gotta make MUM one too...

Hey if your interested in the SAAB you can take a flask full matey!
No it's ok, we don't want MUM on here. Or I will have to go to bed :doh:

A director of a company I worked for had a beautifull green 2.3 SE 16v Turbo and I loved it.

But then at the time I only had a Renault 19 (1.7).

Now I have a ZT 190, the bait has turned hahahahahaha..........

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
WOW no no no LOL, I am not having that Ian.

I love my ZT beyond question, but my Mega has it good points also.

Electric sunroof/mirrors/windows/seats, climate controlled AC, cruise control, onboard puter, TM, full audio/Multi CD box/Radio wheel control (and illuminated) big comfy heated seats, cuddly toy etc.

Push to shove, the 190 does have the sporting edge, quicker turning and much faster off the line due to manual box and low ratio cogs. But the Mega is just as fast in a different way, and more comfortable.
If your zt doesn't have these toys, the 75, which the original question referred to, does have just about all of them, not the cuddly toy, though, you'd have to drive a Vauxhall to need one of these..........

(sorry, coudn't find the "I'm only joking about the last bit, I had a super Carlton CD a few years ago" smiley)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts