MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the misfortune to break my ignition key, the actual metal key stayed in the ignition whilst the plastic bit came away in my hand.
I managed to retrieve the key from the ignition & pushed the two parts back together. The car sometimes starts OK but more often when I've waited for the heater plug indication to go out on the dashboard & turn the key in order to turn over the engine, everything goes dead as if there's an immobiliser fault. The situation is always rectified by repeated attempts but I just wondered if anybody is aware of the integrity of the key being a component part of the immobiliser system, possibly a radio transponder or something.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I recently had the misfortune to break my ignition key, the actual metal key stayed in the ignition whilst the plastic bit came away in my hand.
I managed to retrieve the key from the ignition & pushed the two parts back together. The car sometimes starts OK but more often when I've waited for the heater plug indication to go out on the dashboard & turn the key in order to turn over the engine, everything goes dead as if there's an immobiliser fault. The situation is always rectified by repeated attempts but I just wondered if anybody is aware of the integrity of the key being a component part of the immobiliser system, possibly a radio transponder or something.
Yes there is a transponder, which is a small grey coloured block about 12 x 4 x 3mm, lying on it's side in a moulded recess in the detachble part of the key fob. This may have been dislodged or even damaged. This block is accessed by a coil situated around the ignion key barrel. If it cannot communicate with the transponder, the immobiliser will not be mobilised.

Hope this helps

Colin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts