MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rover 75 CDT chipped - first impressions (updated)

I've just had my '99 Cowley 75 CDT (116) chipped to 150bhp by Simon from http://www.ccctech.co.uk
:)
In case anyone else is thinking of doing this, here are my initial impressions -

The engine in its standard tune is actually quite good. It has useful torque for motorway manoeuvres, is quiet and refined. There is some hesitation when flooring it to pull away and although the engine can easily handle the weight of the car performance is subtle and adequate.

After reading some of the posts here I took the plunge and booked my car in for the upgrade.

The upgrade took around an hour, and cost £305.

After getting back in the car and heading for the nearest dual carriageway you could immediately feel the difference. Whereas before power delivery was subtle, now it seemed eager, this was noticeable in all gears. After getting onto the carrriageway I changed up to 5th and trailed a VW Golf in the nearside lane. Then my chance came and the offside lane cleared - I pressed on in 5th and within what seemed like a short period of time I was in danger of losing my license on the spot. :shh: The car just felt so much more alive. Its like an asthmatic taking a couple puffs of Ventolin - you immediately feel the difference, you breathe easier and perk up.

The car feels and drives like its on steroids and the feeling of being pushed back in your seat lets you (and your passengers) know its got some power under the bonnet.

I'm also finding the car is happier to stay in higher gears at lower speeds, and accelerates better in higher gears so I'm changing down less.

I'm yet to find out the cost of this new found lease of life at the pump or in terms of wear and tear. I can report back on fuel consumption at a later time, but wear and tear will be very hard to judge unless something dramatic happens really soon.

Overall, if you find your CDT/CDTi is fine for your needs and you don't want to shell out £300 for extra power you may rarely use, then I can understand that.

If on the otherhand you are a keener driver, and like having the power in reserve for when you need to press on -then this a very effective modification - and while £305 might be slightly expensive for a procedure that essentially costs a lot less in terms of parts and time - its still worth getting.

- William

P.S. I will report back next time I fill up to let you know if it takes a hit at the pumps and also, I'll try and get some 0-60 times recorded - although it'll be my best effort and some sort of stopwatch.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Cant wait to hear the follow up William. Ive been thinking of getting Simon to do my CDT for ages & now I think I will after your good comments. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Y :D

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I'll be very eager to see your results both short term at the pumps, and longer term.

Can anyone tell me if there is any truth in the rumour that these engines can damage their turbo's above 140BHP? I have a CDTi and this chipping is getting me thinking!!

CAM.

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just a quick update on fuel consumption -

I filled her up today and went out for the day to the new forest. It involved a short motoway trip (60-75), then some country roads (30-50) and some villages (0-30). I covered just under 80 miles. Then I returned to the same garage in the evening and filled her up to the top again.

By my calculations I got around 37mpg for that trip.

That's only an indication of my MPG at this stage, as it was late and I forgot the exact reading on the Pump :shake: (after all that).

I'm going to be doing some serious distances next weekend, so I'll post some more info then.

p.s. The outside temp was around 4 degrees Celcius on the trip.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Nice part of the world to do an MPG test. doesn't look too bad on 1st impressions then. I'm interested!!!!

CAM

·
Registered
rover_75
131 Posts
I too am thinking about getting simon to chip my Auto Connissuer, anyone know of a downside to this upgrade ?:err:

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know about the Auto box, but the Manual Getrag box is running out of spec when chipped. The mod produces a peak 330nm of torque and the getrag is rated to 270nm. Having said that, the official CDT 131 specs say it produces 300nm of torque. So I'm confused.

http://www.en.getrag.de/179/179

The Jatco (auto box) site doesn't give figures, but does say "High torque capacity"

http://www.jatco.co.jp/E_JATCO/SHOHIN/AT_E.HTM

- William

·
Registered
rover_75
131 Posts
Thanx for that William, I wonder if anyone else has had an auto chipped to 154bhp ? any comments please ? by the way, I take it you are still pleased with the extra power, how has the consumption been affected ?

2002 Rover 75 Connisuer SE Auto
2.0cdti
Moonstone
Sat Nav
Xenons
Harmon Kardon

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problems so far. Enjoying the extra performance. Still not got any accurate figures but I'd say fuel consumption is comparable to before.

The problem is - when you have the extra power under your foot, you tend to use it :)

- William

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Will said:
No problems so far. Enjoying the extra performance. Still not got any accurate figures but I'd say fuel consumption is comparable to before.

The problem is - when you have the extra power under your foot, you tend to use it :)

- William

Mmmmmmmmm decisions decisions.....

Put me off a bit with the gearbox info. Not so sure now.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
yorky said:
Mmmmmmmmm decisions decisions.....

Put me off a bit with the gearbox info. Not so sure now.

I had my 45 remapped by Superchips to about 220lbs ft, which is about 12% more than the gearbox is rated.
I had no problems in almost 50k - I had done 90k when I part ex'd for another 45 in october.

My view is that, although a rechip /remap may result in torque which exceeds the gearboxe's rating, you only use it for short periods.
On the other hand, if you were to use all the increased torque for towing, or on daily fully loaded thrashes through the Swiss Alps, then you might well eventually have problems.

For normal driving - I would not be unduly worried by exceeding the manufacturers rating by 10-20%.

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
CDTi Engine upgrade

Recently had my 04 ZT CDTi upgraded to 165 bhp and lovin every pony. A word of reassurance to those who have had or are considering an upgrade. It is important to remember that in standard form when fitted to a BMW 3 series, this engine puts out in the region of 150 bhp, so upgrading will have little or no effect on the reliability or durability of your car provided you continue with proper servicing and repair as required by MG-Rover. Secondly, my MG-Rover dealer cannot tell that it has been upgraded (provided I don't let them drive it!) and from what I gather probably wouldn't give a damn if they did, MG-Rover just want to sell motor cars! Needless to say, this upgrade makes the ZT the car it should always have been. As for the stats, it now pulls cleanly through 130 mph (on a track) and though I haven't had a chance to time the 0-60 yet it certainly feels a couple of seconds faster. I currently do 110 miles a day travelling to and from work (a mix of 20 minutes rural and 40 mins motorway) and am currently averaging 48 mpg which is an improvement of around 10% over the pre-upgrade figure. Mind you thrashing it around the lanes at the weekend and I can easily get that down under 40! My other car is an SD1 Vitesse and the ZT feels easily as quick from 50 - 90 mph so I am very happy with it. Like a previous contributor I too have noticed a little lumpiness when accelerating hard from lower revs (say 1500-2000) but it still pulls hard so I think I can live with it. PS. Is 20,000 miles normal for a set of tyres (the original set)?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The BMW engine, as fitted to the 320d (150ps) uses a different turbo (variable vane), engine balancing system and injection system to the unit supplied to Rover. It's NOT the same and therefore you can't assume that uping the power has "little or no effect on reliability" - just my opinion even though i may also chip mine!

Which company did you use?

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
Picky! (LOL)The mechanicals (the bits that are likely to be affected by an upgrade) are the same.

A company in Andover did mine. They came out and did it at my work one lunchtime. Good but a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
RWD3M said:
Picky! (LOL)The mechanicals (the bits that are likely to be affected by an upgrade) are the same .
Oh no they're not!

The 2 ltr diesel currently used by BMW is a generation newer,
the two engines are even different capacites. Current BMW 150 & 163 bhp engines are 1995cc - the older design as supplied to MGR is a downrated version of BMW's pre 2002 1951cc engine.

Having said that there is probably enough in reserve to chip the engine safely, there are a lot of VW TDI130 engines out there running 185bhp with no problems.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
RWD3M said:
I didn't say it was the current one!
Not wishing to be a pain in the a***, but you did say that the BMW engine put out in the region of 150 bhp. That is the current one, the version supplied to MGR was only rated @ 136bhp max in BMW applications!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts