MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ineed of front brakes for my rover 75 1.8 petrol 1999 any problems getting them or special tools for changing them and what sort of price will i be looking at please.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ineed of front brakes for my rover 75 1.8 petrol 1999 any problems getting them or special tools for changing them and what sort of price will i be looking at please.
local motor factors will sell them. The set of discs and pads I got said bmw 5 series on the boxes I think. The front discs and pads I fitted on my 1.8 were £38 if my memory is correct. Took about an hour tops. If just pads need doing should be a lot less money and time.

I have no idea of a fitted price.

Simon.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
75 Front discs and pads

There have been a couple of instances lately where it is strongly thought the discs were warped. Where they came from has not been stated to date.
There are some really cheap ones on ebay. They may be ok but if you are a 'spirited' driver I would not take the chance.
I personally will not use cheap discs/pads.
I have not heard of complaints with Rover O/E but the best price I know of is from ECP at £84.99 for discs and pads. (Tel:01767 682100/900) Xpart are £160.85 !
Mintex regularly appear on ebay and are a little cheaper. They are a reputable Co.
Could also ask SMC (Tel: 01277 890931)
Only other common one is EBC who make quite a range. Personally on my 75 I have the original Rover discs but changed the pads to EBC Green Stuff to reduce brake dust on my alloys. Can't comment on wear rate yet but am very pleased with the performance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have just done mine all round - got OE from ECP and found them excellent to deal with. They were delivered within two days. It is a straight-forward job but make sure you have the right size hex key for the guide pins. Took ages rummaging around some old ones before I found one to fit. My nice new metric and AF set did not do the job!! The key needed is between 6 & 8 mm but I didn't know there was a 7mm hex key! I would recommend OE pads as they come with backing material to stop squeal. I had some non OE fitted to the front and lived with the squeal for 3 months before the rear needed changed. Replaced the front pads again with OE and squeal has gone. I hear it is a common problem. Other than that be prepared to buy new low pad warning sensors ... try using the old ones, if not worn too much they may be OK. New sensors are around £12 each from MGOC and are very easy to fit (you only need to take the wheel off). If you don't want the sensors you will need to join the two wires to the them together or the dash warning light will stay on.

·
Registered
rover_75
125 Posts
I remember needing a 7 mm Allen key for my 1992 BMW 5-series (same brake set-up as R75). This size is used for locking the handlebars on some bicycles so, if you can't find one, try a cycle shop.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yep definately a 7mm allen key on beemers.

I'm surprised at the price listed for pads & disc's, I just paid £39.99 for pads alone !

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've always used a clamp to slowly reset the caliper pistons (with the brake fluid reserviour open)

Is there any reason why this method would cause problems or am I not alone?

·
Registered
rover_75
125 Posts
Likewise I have used this method on lots of cars over the years (though not the 75 yet as it hasn't needed new pads). I believe there are special clamps available but I use an ordinary 4" G-cramp. So long as the clamp is kept reasonably square, and there is room in the reservoir for the displaced fluid, there can be no problem.

·
Registered
rover_75
125 Posts
Good idea, John. I sometimes use a bit of wood as a cushion but I'll use the old brake pad from now on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts