MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a Rover 75 2L diesel W reg, and I am experiencing problems:

the car has been starting perfect up until 3 weeks ago.

Rain water has leaked from the passenger side and the water has got into the ECU and the passenger interior side. The water caused damage to the ECU (which I have replaced as well as, the fuel tank pump and regulator.)

The engine would turn on ignition, but would not start even after replacing the ECU, fuel tank pump and regulator.

What else can I try to get my car to start normally again?!?!

Any help would be greatful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MattL said:
Who replaced the ecu? You do know it needs configuring on testbook by a dealer?
a local garage replaced it but not a dealer. they said that the part number on both ECU's were the same numbers so they said it should work, but still no joy, is this not correct what they said then?!

·
Registered
rover_75
169 Posts
Perhaps if they think they know best and say it should work then they should get it programmed by the local dealer (hopefully at little cost to you!!) rather than expect you to sort out an unfinished job?
Regards,
Charlie Hall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charlie Hall said:
Perhaps if they think they know best and say it should work then they should get it programmed by the local dealer (hopefully at little cost to you!!) rather than expect you to sort out an unfinished job?
Regards,
Charlie Hall
so it needs programming for my specific car and they haven't done this, they said there was no need. Thanks for the quick replies, any other help or advice would be great.

·
Registered
rover_75
169 Posts
Yes, it needs programming. For a different reason I asked my local dealer to fit a new ECM and the fact of needing programming came up at the time (and it has been mentioned here on some threads I have seen). It turned out that the ECM wasn't faulty, it was something else.
Only Rover dealers have testbook (needed for programming your ECM) as far as I know, possible exceptions being those who have successfully constructed their own, I doubt that there are many of those though as not only is a laptop required, also needed are special test leads and software and possibly other hardware.
Regards,
Charlie Hall

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Joe.b said:
so it needs programming for my specific car and they haven't done this, they said there was no need. Thanks for the quick replies, any other help or advice would be great.
I'm sure Mike M will be along as some point and will explain more about the ECU and all the other wonderful things that can be done to your ECU when it's hooked upto the testbook system. Lots of nice options can be configured at the same time, including the horsepower of your engine :)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yes, also i am of the understanding that the ecu needs to be brand new unit as they can not be reprogrammed to work on other cars. Its a security feature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts