MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a Rover 75 for 3-4 years now. Since last year (some time) it developed a misfire. First the misfire would only occur when the car was under pressure e.g. driving up a hill. However since then it now misfires on idle when just sitting at trafficlights it will just shake and jurk. The garage I use in Maidstone is unable to find the problem and have changed:
Coils
Spark Plugs
HT Leads
However the misfire still occurs. Also I can occasionaly smell a burning fuel smell not sure where it is coming from and it only happens sometimes.
Any ideas guys. This misfire has been going on for a long time and is really starting to get to me and the smell is just very unpleasent.

Thanks
Tom

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
If you have a missfire at idle, you may be able to track it to a particular cylinder by disconnecting each coil in turn. Then you could do a compression check and perhaps try swaping components from other cylinders. Fuel injectors?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have just booked the car in for a diagnostic test. Lets hope this will give me the answer.

I have some questions:
1) Having a misfire since last year would this have caused damage to the engine?
2) The diagonstic check will only find the cause of the misfire and nothing else will it?
3)When I replace a bulb it needs replacing again within a couple of days could this be a problem with the ECU?

Thanks
Tom

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Bulbs-constant bulb blowing on the 75 is put down to using inferior spec bulbs. Best advice is to always use OEM bulbs as they seem to last OK.

If your car is going on 'Testbook' the MGR diagnosttic machine then they can read off for you al lthe faults logged-this might help point out other issues you may not be aware of.

I can't say how a long term misfire may have damaged your engien though I don't think it will have doen your catalytic convertor much good and you might get bad news at MOT time.

hth

Mike :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MikeM said:
Bulbs-constant bulb blowing on the 75 is put down to using inferior spec bulbs. Best advice is to always use OEM bulbs as they seem to last OK.

If your car is going on 'Testbook' the MGR diagnosttic machine then they can read off for you al lthe faults logged-this might help point out other issues you may not be aware of.

I can't say how a long term misfire may have damaged your engien though I don't think it will have doen your catalytic convertor much good and you might get bad news at MOT time.

hth

Mike :)
Mike what would this forum do without you. Nearly every thread I have read you have had an answer for you are a credit to this forum. I would like to say a big thankyou for your very useful answer as always it is very helpful. MOT was carried out week before last it PASSED!! THANK GOD.
When I booked the diagnostic test the woman told me that they will only check to find the cause of the misfire and nothing else is this correct? Or as Mike said will everything be checked? She told me £60 for the test is this correct?

Regards
Tom :)

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Tom

It literally takes minutes for the diagnostics to be read. They will however charge you for a full hour. So tell them you want a full diagnostics report and print out. And if you want anything activating (speed locking, anti hijack lock etc., then get them to do that at the same time.)

hth

Mike

ps thanks for saying nice things about me. Usually they are all so horrible to me on here ;)

:lol:

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
as mike said it litterally takes 5 minutes to do a full diagnostic check, more time spent getting car in and out of garage.

im expecting the problem to be with a duff sparkplug myself

we're not meanto you at all mike!! that'd be like abusing my grandad :haha:

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
AndBurG said:
we're not meanto you at all mike!! that'd be like abusing my grandad :haha:
hmm.that's not nice now is it :( You did know I work in car insurance didn't you (hee hee;) )

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MikeM said:
And if you want anything activating (speed locking, anti hijack lock etc., then get them to do that at the same time.)
Please explain:
speed locking, anti hijack lock
Will these be charged as an extra or will it be included in the 'hour'?

Regards
Tom

p.s. Mike: You work in car insurance?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts