MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a fresh (two months at the time) Rover 75 '00 1.8 Club owner from Finland. Since Rover is very rare in Finland (only about 350 75's in whole country) it's a bit difficult to get answers to your questions from local forums. That's why i'm sending this post to you Gurus! And before you judge me: I checked the FAQ and tried the search also, but didn't get much help from there (maybe it's only my lack of english skills ;-) ). Anyway, if the questions have been answered before, it would be nice if you could throw me a link or something.

OK, the questions:

1. Central locking is working somewhat "lazy". The aiming of the remote has to be very accurate but I guess that's just how it is with 75. But all the doors don't open with the 1st Flick of the Switch (AC/DC quote ;-) ), always needs two. Same goes with the locking switch inside the car and the "hard" key. All of the doors malfunction sometimes, some more often, some not so often. What would help? Change of the motors? Will the new motors malfunction after some time also?

2. Service manual: is there any reasonably prized service manual available? Only one that I found was at http://www.carmanuals.btinternet.co.uk/ for £50, is that worth it? Of course, I would save two or three times that much at the next service if I could do it myself. I got the service schedule from dealer, but I want to be sure to do everything right.

3. Service indicator, is it possible to reset it yourself? How is it done?

4. Boot lid lock works when it pleases - the motor I mean, key works allways. Also, when the switch inside the car doesn't work and I open the lock with the key, there's no motor sound that can be heard at other times. Anyone had the same sympthoms? What could it be: motor, bad connection or what?

5. What are the wheel dimensions? I quess the ET is 35 - 38 mm (sorry about the units...) depending on wheel size, but what is the bolt spacing?

6. The motor mounting feels a bit too flexible: it starts to bounce when shifting up or down to 2nd or 3rd and not concentrating ;-) Is this normal or is there something wrong with the motor mounts or something?

And yes, the motor is loosing some coolant (about one liter during the 6000 km that I've done). The dealer found nothing but a faulty radiator gap and I'm waiting for a new one. Hope that helps. The temp gauge is always at the middle no matter what are the running circumstanses so no other problems with the cooling than the coolant loss.

No need to answer all the Q:s at once, I'd be more than happy with any piece of info I can get! Thanx in advance!

Pertti

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I'll answer myself then ;-)

2. I noticed that the same CD's can be found at eBay for only a couple of £'s! Illegal copies? - I don't know...

3. Found this: http://www.rontronics.com/omicheck.html Does it work? Price?

5. The bolt spacing is 5 x 100, ET varies from 37 to 50 mm depending on the manufacturer (the original 15"s have ET of 50 mm).

6. Probably not a fault but a feature. I heard that some MB's and Chryslers have the same habit...

For the other questions answers are still welcome!

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Hi Pertti

Congratulations on getting a great car and welcome to the forums. Can you post some pics of your car as it'd be great to see it?

I'll try to answer your questions where I can and I'm sure others will help you out as they read your post.

* The discs on ebay are 'illegal' copies but they work and are very useful-of course I couldn't advise you to buy one :D

*If I remember rightly the Omicheck will work but you would need the sellers to confirm for you. The service indicator on the 75 is the BMW ones.

* The 75's locking remote works on radio waves. They don't work consistently to a set range and some are better than others. A set of new batteries can often help.

*If when you first press unlock on your remote the drivers door only responds to the first push then it sounds like you have one of the 75's many lock security features enabled. This feature stops thieves jumping in to the car from the passenger side when you unlock it. A Rover dealer can disable it for you. But with the other problems you are having you probaby need a Rover dealer to plug the car into their 'Testbook' diagnosis software to find out more (there is information about Testbook on the RAVE CD Rom.

You will want to find and fix your coolant loss problem quickly as the 1.8 K series engine does not hold a lot of coolant and you don't want to risk your headgasket!

Otherwise I suggest you carry out searches on this forum by subject as there is a lot of 75 maintenance/service information that has been posted over the past couple of years.

Any further questions just ask and I'm sure somebody will try to help-.

Welcome to the world of 75 ownership- a great car :bgrin:

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Pertti K said:
3. Service indicator, is it possible to reset it yourself? How is it done?
Hi, you can reset it yourself.

If you'd like to drop me an email or send a pm, I'll gladly explain.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Some people are not willing to risk or try this method because it means shorting the ECU socket.

This method is used when Testbook or T4 is not available.

I have not done it myself yet, I was going to do my own service then do this. I will however do this tomorrow regardles on my 1.8 March 2001 75 and confirm, but I know other members of this forum have done this with success and no problems.

Please note, YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you car dies, explodes, melts, or gets 20,000 miles added to the clock, YOU DID THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Your risk, anything goes wrong, your own fault.

Ok, we clear ?

The pin sequence is as shown as you look at the diagnostic socket (I trust you know where this is :)).

Code:
(sorry, be buggered if I could get the forum to align that correctly)

Turn ignition key to point 2.
Short pin 8 to pin 4 for the period of time shown in the RAVE CD for the type of service (just keep it shorted until the display resets to 15000).

Remember please, YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot Gurus!

Some photos of my Rover can be found at http://pkh.photosite.com/ under "Current Wheels". Also had a '77 Bedford which can be found under "Ex Wheels" - so I'm not a total newbie what it comes to Brittish vehicles ;)

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Pertti K said:
1. Central locking is working somewhat "lazy". The aiming of the remote has to be very accurate but I guess that's just how it is with 75. But all the doors don't open with the 1st Flick of the Switch (AC/DC quote ;-) ), always needs two. Same goes with the locking switch inside the car and the "hard" key. All of the doors malfunction sometimes, some more often, some not so often. What would help? Change of the motors? Will the new motors malfunction after some time also?
This is a completely normal feature of the locking system. First press, the drivers door unlocks, second press, the others.

Its supposed to stop hijacking, or something. Never seen how it quite works other in that stereotyped hollywood film way when the driver gets in the car to turn round and find the person he is running away from is sitting in the passenger seat! :yikes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r44712 said:
This is a completely normal feature of the locking system. First press, the drivers door unlocks, second press, the others.

Its supposed to stop hijacking, or something. Never seen how it quite works other in that stereotyped hollywood film way when the driver gets in the car to turn round and find the person he is running away from is sitting in the passenger seat! :yikes:
Yes, I'm familiar with this feature, but that's not it (it's been disabled in my Rover). It's different doors each time that stay locked. Sometimes it can even be the driver's door that stays locked and (some of) the others unlock. So it's very random bahaviour. There's not a single door that _always_ unlocks or stays locked with the first press. And it's the same with the hard key or the switch inside the car.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I know im resurecting an old post but does the service reset procedure work...what i mean has anyone on here got it to work?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Worked for me on my 2001 1.8 Club. Also works for LeeCave, unsure of his 75 model though.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Thanks....I will give it a whirl then! Just after all the chat on here i couldnt find anywhere that actually said it was confirmed as working...May have been me but hey!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Locking problem

Hi Guys, first post.

I'm having exactly the same locking problem with my 1999 75 Connossieur. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be interested to know.

PHlipper

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I couldnt get this to work at all! When the ignition is switched to position 2 the service thingy shows for a couple of seconds then just flicks to normal. Tried leaving the link in as igintion was switched on and it just changed over as normal. Also tried to short it quick while the display was on and it still didnt work! Mines a cdt, dont know if that makes a difference but tried everything and it didnt work. Where is this info taken from btw?

Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PHlipper said:
Hi Guys, first post.

I'm having exactly the same locking problem with my 1999 75 Connossieur. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be interested to know.

PHlipper
I found out that it's the lock motors that don't function properly. The dealer that told me this said that taking the motors apart and cleaning them might help, but the car just may need new motors. And those are not too cheap...

It's such a job that i decided just to live with it..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts