MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to change the sump gasket on my 1997/p 620 ti and im a little unsure how to go about it.

Do i drain the oil from the sump and then just undo the bolts and take off the sump and then replace the gasket?

Please help guys, thanks.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Adam said:
AndBurG, is there any obstructions that would hinder the removal of the sump?
Yes some .... turbo oil drain and the exhaust down pipe will restrict access so will have to be dropped. Two 13mm nuts secure the drain pipe to the sump and more often than not, the nuts will be tight on their studs which invariably come out as well.... which actually helps operations. Next, the tie bar attaching the o/s/f of the sump to the front x-member needs removing.

IIRC, the power steering pipes run alongside the sump near the gearbox end and those also need removing to one side as they restrict accesss. Possibly the oil filter will limit access too so may have to be removed. You'll be draining the sump anyway so a new filter is wise.

By the way, if the sump gasket is in good condition (they are well made and so usually are if carefully removed ) they can be cleaned and carefully refitted and still remain oil tight.....

Not my favourite job ... working underneath a car ...;)

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
MGJohn said:
Yes some .... turbo oil drain and the exhaust down pipe will restrict access so will have to be dropped. Two 13mm nuts secure the drain pipe to the sump and more often than not, the nuts will be tight on their studs which invariably come out as well.... which actually helps operations. Next, the tie bar attaching the o/s/f of the sump to the front x-member needs removing.

IIRC, the power steering pipes run alongside the sump near the gearbox end and those also need removing to one side as they restrict accesss. Possibly the oil filter will limit access too so may have to be removed. You'll be draining the sump anyway so a new filter is wise.

By the way, if the sump gasket is in good condition (they are well made and so usually are if carefully removed ) they can be cleaned and carefully refitted and still remain oil tight.....

Not my favourite job ... working underneath a car ...;)
great post!!!!

working from the top is much easier!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Not my favourite job ... working underneath a car ...
Thanks Very Much, well i really need to get a leak sorted out, its starting to annoy me now, (well i think its the sump) anyways i will have to investigate probaily over the weekend. thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts