MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the gear box and clutch oil reservoir located? How to change it and what grade should I use?

Also thinking of checking spark plugs and I guess it has not been changed for a long time. No starting problems though. When I open the electrical contact for 4th plug it's all black carbon there is the exhaust fumes leaking from that?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
dibun said:
Where is the gear box and clutch oil reservoir located? How to change it and what grade should I use?
With the manual gearbox the clutch is hydraulically operated, the clutch reservoir is by the brake reservoir and is the smaller of the two, requires DOT4 brake fluid, bleed nipple is on front of the gearbox casing.

Gearbox oil, Honda MTF-7289 is required and as it's not available anywhere use XPart / Landrover MTF-94 as a substitute, around 2 litres is needed.

Gearbox drain plug is the square bolt, IIRC it's 3/8's, filler bolt is above.

Best advice if you are not sure what your are doing, beg borrow or buy Haynes 3257.

dibun said:
Also thinking of checking spark plugs and I guess it has not been changed for a long time. No starting problems though. When I open the electrical contact for 4th plug it's all black carbon there is the exhaust fumes leaking from that?
Sparkplug hole gasket might need replacing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray_S said:
With the manual gearbox the clutch is hydraulically operated, the clutch reservoir is by the brake reservoir and is the smaller of the two, requires DOT4 brake fluid, bleed nipple is on front of the gearbox casing.

Gearbox oil, Honda MTF-7289 is required and as it's not available anywhere use XPart / Landrover MTF-94 as a substitute, around 2 litres is needed.

Gearbox drain plug is the square bolt, IIRC it's 3/8's, filler bolt is above.

Best advice if you are not sure what your are doing, beg borrow or buy Haynes 3257.

Sparkplug hole gasket might need replacing.
You mean the washer on the spark plug? What is the size of the plug if I need to replace it? Where is the gearbox drain and refill plug situated?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
dibun said:
You mean the washer on the spark plug? What is the size of the plug if I need to replace it?
No I mean the gasket under the cam / rocker cover, you'd have to remove the cam / rocker cover to replace and fix.

Edit: Gearbox filler and drain have to be accessed from right side under the car, can't miss the square drain plug on the gearbox case, filler is above to the left. Like I said if you are not 100% sure get a haynes manual.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray_S said:
No I mean the gasket under the cam / rocker cover, you'd have to remove the cam / rocker cover to replace and fix.

Edit: Gearbox filler and drain have to be accessed from right side under the car, can't miss the square drain plug on the gearbox case, filler is above to the left. Like I said if you are not 100% sure get a haynes manual.
Thx for the reply. I guess it is hard to get haynes manual in Norway and that too in English. Will search ebay though. Don't they have a pdf version?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Plenty of Rover 600 Haynes on ebay UK going cheap (search for Haynes Rover 620), PDF versions are usually pirate copies so I can't condone their use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ray_S said:
Plenty of Rover 600 Haynes on ebay UK going cheap (search for Haynes Rover 620), PDF versions are usually pirate copies so I can't condone their use.
I want to open the spark plug what size spark plug opener should I look for? Can I use other generic gea box oil or I have to use MTF-94 or MTF-7289?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I would use MTF-94 if you want to be problem free, should be available from any Land Rover dealer, even in Norway.

10mm sparkplug socket is required.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I opened the plugs and it got bosch super 4 and there is no wear and tear. Is bosch super 4 is factory fitted?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The Bosch plugs are aftermarket replacements and don't have a good reputation when used on this engine.

The standard plugs should be NGK ZFR6F-11 (4291).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ray_S said:
The Bosch plugs are aftermarket replacements and don't have a good reputation when used on this engine.

The standard plugs should be NGK ZFR6F-11 (4291).
Can you explain why they have a bad reputation? Aren't they are suppose to have better sparks? In NGK ZFR6F-11 (4291) what does 4291 signifies?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
4291 = NGK SKU (stock keeping unit / stock number).

Bosch Super 4 plugs have a bad reputation because they can cause problems with certain engines, causing misfiring, rough idle, flat acceleration, generally bad ignition.

Usually when Super 4's are replaced with standard plugs, all the problems go away, so don't believe the marketing men.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ray_S said:
4291 = NGK SKU (stock keeping unit / stock number).

Bosch Super 4 plugs have a bad reputation because they can cause problems with certain engines, causing misfiring, rough idle, flat acceleration, generally bad ignition.

Usually when Super 4's are replaced with standard plugs, all the problems go away, so don't believe the marketing men.
Didn't find NGK plugs but got equivalent Denso plugs. Do I have to adjust the gap? How about Iridium plugs?

http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/power/features.html

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Never used Denso plugs personally, however they are also recommended. Denso equivalent plug part number should be KJ20CR-L11.

The gap should already be preset at 1.1mm, hence the 11 in the part number.

Iridium plugs, unless you have a tuned engine or just money to burn, they are not worth it. Changing your normal plugs every couple of years is far more cost effective and helpful to your engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ray_S said:
Never used Denso plugs personally, however they are also recommended. Denso equivalent plug part number should be KJ20CR-L11.

The gap should already be preset at 1.1mm, hence the 11 in the part number.

Iridium plugs, unless you have a tuned engine or just money to burn, they are not worth it. Changing your normal plugs every couple of years is far more cost effective and helpful to your engine.
Is it true what they say in this link like improved fuel mileage and other claims?

http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/power/features.html

Looks to good to be true.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ray_S said:
If it were true, don't you think we all would be using them by now?

Save your money and use standard plugs.
Changed the plugs and now fuel consumption reduced a lot. Before I used to get around 300km in half tank and now it is 300km and still not half tank.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
300km = 186 miles, sounds about right to me.

Full tank I get 250 to 270 miles (400 to 435km) town driving, 330 to 360 miles (531 to 579km) motorway/highway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts