MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive in London doing small journeys in traffic; I am getting between 350 and 400 miles to a full tank.
Is this normal with this type of journeys or am I getting low mpg.
I have seen posts regarding cleaning the inlet manifold and would like to have a go at doing this as I am sure it’s never been done.
Does anyone have a few pics to steer me in the right direction for this?
Any other tips with pics to improve the mpg would be appreciated.

Need pics due to being at bit of a newbie under the bonnet.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Your MPG sounds about right to me. Espescially with the sort of driving that you do.

Unfortunately i don't know anything about the rest.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The best thing I'd recommend is giving it an italian tune up. get the engien good and warm and thrash it hard for a few miles (obviously not in 30mph limits!).

A good thrashing does them the workd of good every so often.

Also check for split intercooler hoses and these also hurt the economy. Remember though it is a big car. I manage 43-47mpg out of mine most of the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The best thing I'd recommend is giving it an italian tune up. get the engien good and warm and thrash it hard for a few miles (obviously not in 30mph limits!).
Exactly what my local mechanic said. However even after doing this (beware the M11) on long distance runs usually driving at between 60 and 85, a tank is good for about 520 with my 600iSD, in & about London lucky to get much more than 350.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Its a really messy, horrible job which won't actually give you much benefit so unless you are disassembling it for another reason I'd leave it well alone. It can't be cleaned on the car, you have to remove it and scrape and wash all of the crud out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts