MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
rover_600
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a flashing D4 light, and slipping gearbox.
Had gear overhauled, and is now smooth and as-new.
But the flashing D4 is still there.
The gear people obviously only know mechanics!

Looked for the Service Check Connector where it is meant to be (under the passenger fascia) and there it was ..... GONE.
Removed the glove box, pulled up all the carpets, and finally found a strange dangling round connector, protected by a rubber glove, with inaccessible recessed terminals, obviously meant for access only by a mating connector (or by cutting the wires).

And the colors were wrong - RED/GRN and BLK, instead of GRN/WHT and ORN/RED which is what the manual states.

Is that the Service Check Connector? Does anyone know?

I want to check the diagnostic code, before trying to change the transmission controller.

Would appreciate any advice.
Thks, Ephi.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
On the post-facelift (1996) 600s the SCS should be a (pale) blue 2 pin connector plug, probably dangling freely, behind the the left hand-side lower trim panel in the passenger footwell.

If I recall (from my previous 600Si) the cable colours were not as described in the manual (I did have pics of this, but unfortunately over on the RoverTech.net site, which is now defunct and non-accesible).

Bridging the terminals with a paperclip would suffice to complete the circuit and enable the "flashing" of diagnostic codes on the dash.

I'll have a dig around in my photo archive to see if I can find pics of it (no promises though).

·
Registered
rover_600
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
600 - Diagnostic Code connector

Pinkie 15, Thanks!

Just got back to this, and you are absolutely correct.

Got it - a blue connector dangling right there, near the back so I did not spot it at first.

Bridged it and got my error code easily (9, meaning no signal from the countershaft of the gear - so the controller did not know when to instruct lock-up.)

Will look into this over the weekend.

Thanks again for your help, Ephi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts