MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Bought a 2001 Rover 45 TD Connoisseur as a non runner from a friend.

Took it to SMG Rover in Bristol for diagnostics they confirmed timing was ok, lives and earths to pump fine but found two fault codes:

pump control unit faulty
pump control unit communication error

and advised pump to be sent for bench testing.

I then purchased a used but known working pump from them and fitted it myself, but it still did not start - triple check timing, bled it incase of airlock and tried to start it on WD40 through the intake it did run...
Diesel just dribbles from the injectors, no pressure.

I then assumed i had very bad luck and had another duff pump, bought another and i am still having the same problem.

This is beginning to cost me alot of money and i am getting very frustrated as i need it working asap.

I am aware of the internal pump ecu problems, but how can i check this? Would it give these symptoms?

Could this really be the problem? - Maybe i am just extremely unlucky and have consecutively bought 2 broken pumps - but i just cannot see this being the case having bought from respectable people who i have dealt with for years.

Where do i go from here? (feel like dragging the git to the 'yard!)

Is there anyone in the South West in or around Bristol who could take a look for some dosh?

All advise much appreciated.

Many thanks

Oli.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
pump control unit communication error

This is the fault code when my pump ecu failed. A Bosch agent should be able to test the pump ecu for integrity. If the pump is ok then it's time to check the wiring.

pump to ecu pin out is as follows:

Pin 1 Yellow to pin 99 on ecm (canbus low)
pin 2 white/grey to pin 100 on ecm (canbus high)
pin 5 red to pin to pin 105 on ecm (labelled fuel shut off so must supply/control the fuel quantity solenoid circuit as there is no shut off solenoid as such)
pin 6 black to earth
pin 7 orange/brown 12 Volt supply from relay 191 in engine management fuse box)
pin 8 green/orange pin 91 on ecm (engine speed output to pump)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much is that likely to cost?
Can you recommend anyone?

I just can't get my head around the fact i could buy 2 pumps both with ECU failure, they came off running vehicles how can the ECU fail in storage?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I used CF Parkinson at Lincoln. They charged me £40 to tell me my pump was knackered, and £400 to replace the psg5 ecu, solenoids and pump head. I had to then pay the government £100 VAT on top of this for the pleasure!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow that is expensive :(

To be brutally honest if it is likely to cost me that much on top of what i've already paid:

£84 diagnostics
£96 pump 1
£100 pump 2
£100 transport costs

Then i reluctantly may have to throw in the towel.

I really hope this isn't the case, as it is a very nice motor which i would like to be using.

·
Registered
17,845 Posts
ah don't be a pessimist, how many pumps have you tried so far, i think unless you're really unlucky it's gunna be caused by something else, might be time for some nosying around the wiring looms :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried two pumps as above!

I also firmly believe it is something else, but what?

I just don't know where to look now.

Hoping someone from Southwest may be able to take a look.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Wow that is expensive :(

To be brutally honest if it is likely to cost me that much on top of what i've already paid:

£84 diagnostics
£96 pump 1
£100 pump 2
£100 transport costs

Then i reluctantly may have to throw in the towel.

I really hope this isn't the case, as it is a very nice motor which i would like to be using.
You won't be the first here to buy successive duff secondhand pumps. The L series engine is close to indestructable, the only weakness is the VP30 pump, as was the case on many other cars that used this pump. It was most notably a pain on Transit vans, probably because of the high mileage they cover.

·
Registered
395 Posts
long shot i know but when mine wouldnt start after belt and HG changes dave looked at the cam pully position for the pump, he noticed that the 4 bolts positioning the pully on the can shaft had been moved from factory , repositioned and she fired right away.

Before this we had set the timing perfectly and she just wouldnt fire, it was a right strange one.

Might be worth a look as you have done every thing else and the cost is NIL which is always helpfull.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
theres a howto on pump diagnostics top of this section. Metering solanoids have a habit of seezing up on pumps that sit around for ages. If the ECU had failed on the first one, you could have made a goodun out of the pair of pumps by swapping the metering pump onto the second pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts