MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and bought a new set of ht leads which cost £35.When opening the box there was only two leads.I know that the other two plugs have the coils on them but they still have a connection going on to the plug which i thought may have come in the box also.Phoned the man up at rover parts and he said that the rubber connections on the coils dont come off and that there a part of the coil itself.The coils i was told are £80 each????Can these break down like the leads (the rubber connections) as i dont fancy paying out for two new coils.

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
Are those two rubber "tubes" damaged? Why have you bought the two (short) HT leads? Do you feel something strange in the engine?

I would not change the ignition coils unless there was a real problem with the sparks on one cylinder (or more than one, of course) and not caused from the spark plugs themselves (use the OE, they will last well over 60.000 miles).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a slight misfire at tickover so changed the ht leads.Seems a lot better but im sure theres still a small misfire.Maybe its the coils???Does anyone know what the life span of the coil packs are or do they last the cars life????

·
Registered
585 Posts
When you say a slight misfire on tickover, does it register on the tacho and is it something you just feel through your foot. I have a Rover 45 with the same sort of problem it misses the odd beat on tickover... see this thread
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=126266

I've yet to sort the problem, however I'm beginning to think its something that is just there. Read my thread and see if you have any luck with any of the remedies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No it does not show on tacho i can only feel it at tickover.Put new plugs in (denso) also but its still there.I have read that this is a common problem on the 1.6 but im at a loss as to what it is?What i dont understand is it only missfires random and not at a steady rythm.if it was sucking air it would run rough all the time?Imo its got to be electrical?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well if you manage to locate the problem let me know, I've given up at the moment and am living with it, it's really annoying. My last thoughts have been along the lines of the breathing system, I'll keep you posted, I'm having the cambelt done next monday I'll see what its like after that, maybe timing off a little ? I tried Denso MGRover Oem plugs but went back to NGK, I've swapped the coils and leads but maybe its something in the loom to the coils, I'm running out of ideas ! But there does seem to be lots of us with the problem, listening to the car tickover from outside the car you wouldn't know there was anything wrong, if you put your hand on the rocker cover though you can feel the miss every so often.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
You would know if there was a timing problem. Its either the coilpacks or the crank sensor.

·
Registered
585 Posts
No I didn't really think it would be timing, but the cambelts being changed anyway, it's times up. I've not really looked at any of the sensors properly
is there any way to test the crank sensor if I can get at it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How hard is it to get to the crank sensor and is it easy to get off and clean?Is it cleanable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts