MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everone, thank god I've found this site. Can anyone please help me with a strange problem on my 51 plate Rover 45
with automatic gear box

The car will start fine with no problems, first of all when you put it in drive 9 out of 10 times it stalls, same with reverse, when you actually manage to get it driving it kangaroos for miles, as if theres not enough petrol getting thru.

After a long distance it seems to get better but the problem is still there.
Occsionally you will start the car up and there is totally no response from the gas pedal at all.. put your foot down and it doesnt rev what so ever.
If you restart the car it will then give you rev's but drive like a bag of crap.

I had a diagnositic guy down and he put it on the machine and nothing showed up.
The coils have been checked and still the same even with new ones.
The spark plugs are not sooted up.
The plugs have been changed.
The air filter has been changed

Please please anyone any ideas.. Im tearing my hair out.

Thanks
J

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd start by finding someone who knows what he is doing! Changing parts such as coils unless you've diagnosed them to be faulty is an expensive way of troubleshooting!

If the car is six years old then the fuel filter should have been changed by now. I guess in an extreme case this could cause fuel starvation and hence your problem - worth a look.

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guy

Thanks for your advice and postings.

I had a tuning guy out and he very kindly bought 2 coils and fitted them, we tried it and no difference and he didn't charge me for them which was great.

"Check the throttle potentiometer. A nice, smooooooth 0-5V output as the throttle is opened is required"
This sounds interesting, I am fairly good with cars to a small degree, brakes, serving etc.. but how do I check this? can anyone tell me.

Thanks so much for responding

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on my rover 45

A quick update for you and see if anyone can tell me why..

Was looking in the engine bay yesterday and towards to back of the block towards the windscreen far down towards the floor is a lead that plugs into what can only be described as a small cylinder switch which screws into the engine body itself was very loose.. almost falling off.

I tightened this up, started the car and bingo..
Juddering has stopped, no cut outs running a little rough but 150% better, almost like it was when new.
I undid this switch and started it back up to see if the juddering would return and it was still fine....
Tighting the this switch back up, taking it for a good spin and so far it has driven lovely... What is this switch? any one know please. I could send you a pic if needed. It would be nice to find out what it was for

Thanks again

·
Registered
rover_45
16 Posts
Following a disastrous test drive in an otherwise pristine Rover 25 ( same box & same fault ) I contacted an ex Rover Technician. He commented that it ia probably caused by a duff fuel management system and he could probably adjust the fault out. Of cause he would need to see the car and I was not about to risk a purchase. Obviously the problem is known about and you need to avoid any '' they all do that '' crap as they don't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts