MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, hoping someone has any idea of the problem with my Rover 45... (changed spark plugs today so that rules those out.) I can build up a high speed gradually but when putting my foot down on the accelerator hard, the RPMs shoot up but the speed doesn't increase. The car also sputters at a low speed. When changing up a gear, it over revs but no speed, and when trying to accelerate uphill, it struggles for power and the RPM's surge. Doesn't do this in first gear tho? I've been trying to figure this out need some help... will be replacing the fuel filter as this sounds like the problem but would like a second opinion! Don't think it's a slipping clutch tho as there's no squeaking/grumbling or burning smell. Will also be using a fuel injector cleaning tmorrow! Many thanks in advance!

Registered
mg_tf
Sounds absolutely typical of a slipping clutch - smell or no smell ( which may not be at this stage and mode of driving).
Put the car in top gear and attempt to drive away - you will probably find this increases the symptoms - and the car won鈥檛 stall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts