MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The nice people who i bought my rover 45 off didn't supply me with an owners handbook and i'm a little confused as to which grade of engine oil i should be using.

All help appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Assuming it is the petrol variant.

10w40 Semi Synthetic.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No problem.

Going to do the change yourself?

The engine holds 4.5 litres exactly with a filter change. I'd suggest only using a genuine filter and replacing the sump plug washer at the same time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just want to top it up at the moment. will be taking the car in for a cam belt change soon and probably a service as the nice people who i got the car off last may didn't service it either.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
AS said before I'd change the oil myself after reading this..

http://www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm

It's not the same filter as your rover but it is the same as mine - I was rather shocked -- so went straight off to honda! BUY OEM as even the unipart ones look to be identical to halfords ones (admittedly not the worst but for £3 extra not worth it)

·
Registered
436 Posts
AS said before I'd change the oil myself after reading this..

http://www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm

It's not the same filter as your rover but it is the same as mine - I was rather shocked -- so went straight off to honda! BUY OEM as even the unipart ones look to be identical to halfords ones (admittedly not the worst but for £3 extra not worth it)
What a great website. When I change my filter I may well pull it apart to compare. Anybody done this aleady with the oem filters.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
No problem.

Going to do the change yourself?

The engine holds 4.5 litres exactly with a filter change. I'd suggest only using a genuine filter and replacing the sump plug washer at the same time.
Whenever 'I' recommend changing the washer as part of the routine I always get challenged on it?:wtf:

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Not by me you won't have been.

Religiously replaced when I have it done. Some people don't deem it necessary but it costs next to nothing (if they don't just give you one) to do.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
After that read I'm never using filters from a factors now. Honda charged me £10 plus a sump plug washer(evil aluminium things) for nowt thrown in. Cannot moan at that as halfords one was £6.99 with no washer.

Plus I wondered why the frauds filter was a pig to fit... its wider than the oem so it gets in the way of the alternator more easily hence my issues. A big up as the filter is hidden on the D series. K's are alot nicer job-buy quality, seems to save pennies in the long run

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
when i went to the garage they've put Full Synthetic in the car...
Is that a problem ?
Shouldn't cause an issue, but best to go back to the right stuff at the next change.

I would also question why the garage used fully synth other than to charge you more. Makes me question what else they do to up the bill.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Another old thread resurrected.

Not that it matters, except the answer (by admin) to the 2 & 1/2 year old question is not now relevant.

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
I replied because there was a post dated today that has now been deleted asking for a suggestion of brand of oil..it would of been post 15 and my post was 16 but now 15

1 - 19 of 19 Posts