MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have filled my coolant up and when I release the cap to do so I can see it dripping out under the car.

There seems to be some residue around the bolt too, not sure if this was a previous temp fix as I have only owned the car for 4 weeks.

Can anyone spot what the resolution to this may be?

Thanks,

M

Attachments

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
104 Posts
Hi all,

I have filled my coolant up and when I release the cap to do so I can see it dripping out under the car.

There seems to be some residue around the bolt too, not sure if this was a previous temp fix as I have only owned the car for 4 weeks.

Can anyone spot what the resolution to this may be?

Thanks,

M
Hi Marc!

Are you sure that it is a nut under the enigne that is the cause of the leak? The leak can be at some other place higher up and drip from the nut?

Is it leaking al the time or only when the enigine is hot?
The leak can be between the head and the cylinder, maybe the headgasket?

Maybe check the compression in each cylinder?

Best regards and good luck!

Martin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Marc!

Are you sure that it is a nut under the enigne that is the cause of the leak? The leak can be at some other place higher up and drip from the nut?

Is it leaking al the time or only when the enigine is hot?
The leak can be between the head and the cylinder, maybe the headgasket?

Maybe check the compression in each cylinder?

Best regards and good luck!

Martin

Hey Martin,

Can't be sure, as the jack points have rusted off so I couldn't lift the car to get under it for a better look. It is leaking cold and hot as soon as I put any liquid into the coolant tank it just "drips" out quite rapidly.

This is my first car so sorry for what might be a silly question but when you say check the compression what do you mean?

Someone else mentioned it may be the water pump?

Thanks for your reply,

Marc

·
Registered
mg_tf
517 Posts
I too would think that it’s unlikely that the leak site is the actual site of the leak - probably much higher, and simply dripping off the lowest point.
Personally, I would just arrange to get the car on a ramp - at your local garage - and get them to thoroughly investigate where the leak site is. If you find you get some automatic comment that it’s the head gasket ! - then I would be looking for another garage.
Compression test ? Sorry, but I cannot see why this would be a port of call at this stage.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,917 Posts
If its a k series engine, prime suspects would be inlet manifold gasket (IMG) or water pump, check around these areas. The coolant flows down and drips off the sump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts