MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The aircon on my 45 does not work at all, the light on the button comes on but cannot hear anything, not even a relay clicking when button pressed.
The 10A fuse is OK. Usually can hear aircon running down after engine switched off but don't hear anything now, any suggestions?
Nev Brooksby.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
With the ignition in position 2 (engine off), stick your head under the bonnet and listen carefully in the general area of the compressor, and get a friend to turn the a/c on.

You should hear a clack or similar, if you don't then the compressors electric clutch is dead.

Common failure point on car a/c compressors.

·
Registered
rover_45
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aircon sorted

Car was due for a service anyway so got garage to check aircon, just needed re-gassing, now just have to keep a check for leaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have repaired and regassed AC systems on cars for years, and have two points here that may be of use...

The seal on the compressor shaft is oil lubricated. If the compressor doesn't run for a while (over winter etc) it will dry out and the refrigerant will leak out. Once the compressor has done a couple of rotations it will reseal itself. I always advised drivers to run their air conditioning for at least a minute every month during the winter to combat this!

If there is a leak of Refrigerant, pretty much like the coolant system, the main culprit is usually the condenser. (the radiator like thing) Check on that for tell tale signs of leakage, usually oil patches etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts