MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First post so please excuse the questions!

At the weekend i have bought myself a 2005 Rover 45 1.6 for the purposes of commuting and to keep the miles of my Corsa VXR.

The 45 has done 66k and although in good condition doesn't have service history so will likely need the cambelt done to be safe - however, as well as that, i would like to do some work to it just to give it a bit more oomph so the obvious thing that springs to mind is some uprated cams.

Can anyone help with the following;

• What power would cams add to this engine (nothing daft, most likely Newman Phase 2 to keep drivability)?
  • Will they run on the standard ECU or will that new messed with too (i have seen reference to Kmaps being able to do this)?
  • Do i need to time the phase 2's in with verniers or can i fit them with the standard pulleys (i appreciate verniers will give the best gains but if they run ok with the std pulleys and save the hassle of using timing gauges i'd be happy with that, even at the expense of a few bhp)?
I'd be doing the work myself.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No takers then? lol

Nevermind...i've gone ahead and bought whats meant to be a TF 135 cylinder head complete with cams, also a kmaps ECU and 52mm TB to run it so will hopefully get them this week.

Also got a VVC inlet coming, so if i get the spare head ported later i can fit that on as well to complete the setup

I guess it should be similar power to a 1.8 120 if not more, even without the porting which should make it usable on modern roads.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
Perhaps nobody who comes on the forum nowadays knows the answer??

You might have had a reply or two in the 25/ZR section of the forum as the modification and tuning section doesn't get a lot of activity these days.

Fitting 135 cams used to be a relatively common mod, but to get it to work, it needs a remap. To get any real benefit from it, it needs the head porting, the 135/VVC inlet manifold and 52mm throttle body, and either vernier pulleys or the dowels modified to allow some adjustment of the cam timing. Someone who did this to a 1.4 a few years ago (along with fitting a full Janspeed exhaust system including manifold and sports cat, and what he described as a 'fully reworked' head) claimed output of about 130bhp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, its probably like most of the forums thesedays to be fair, facebook has taken over...that and the fact its no longer a common car.

Thanks for the reply though;

I have the remapped ECU on route and kmaps seemed to think i didn't need the verniers (though i have some ordered anyway which i was going to return).

I would be happy with 120 brake...doing the head, although beneficial, might be cost prohibitive but i'll see how i get on

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
They are probably right, a good many people have fitted the 135 cams in the past without vernier pulleys, but some have reported that the engine runs a bit rough at times. Slight adjustment of the timing via adjustable pulleys seems to sort this out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh got you.

I have the engine stripped down now so having breakfast then going out to swap the cams - will hopefully find out later today/tomorrow how it runs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got as far as swapping the cams last week then ran out of time.

Back at it today so have the car back together and it fires up and runs along with the 52mm TB so very happy!

Unfortunately the return to header pipe on the radiator fractured so i cant run it again until i get a replacement though but no matter.

Still to fit the kmaps ECU...seems like a ballache to get the ECU out its cage so the dremmel will be getting used tomorrow i think to undo 2 rivets/headless screws.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kmaps ECU is in - had an issue with a 1500 idle but spoke to Mark and did a reset via the accelerator pedal which has fixed it.

New radiator turned up this morning so hopefully saturday lunchtime i'll have it on the road

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Road tested the other day so it definitely perkier than before at high rpm.

Its hard to judge as my other car is a lot more powerful but my dad says in comparison to his 45 its definately quicker.

As to whether its was worth the money...well perhaps in terms of power gain maybe not, but it was worth the experience of doing the cams etc.

Only problem is it now seems to take a few extra seconds to start every now and then...i'm hoping it just needs a good service so have plugs/filters on route now....no idea when it was last serviced and it stood for a good while before i bought it...

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
I have a spare 1.6 engine lying around and 135 cams, i'll be mating them all in a future project at some point, I know a chap who used to frequent this forum who had an identical combo in a ZR with a 160 inlet manifold to replace his ruined 1.4, he had a new exhaust system fitted along with a cold air induction kit, combined with a KMAPS remap he was getting 140 BHP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect the exhaust probably helped a fair bit.

Just been out in mine and its nippier but i think it'd be about 115-120 at best..its faster but not night and day. That said i find it difficult to judge as i commute in a Corsa VXR each day so really any small CC NA car will feel a bit slow in comparision. However I've stuck my corsa in the garage today so planning to do the whole of next week in the Rover so i'll better be able to compare against similar power cars on the road.

One thing i didn't do before i fitted was measure the lift of the cams to be 100% they were 135 ones...but since the KMAPs ecu adds a lot more fuel at higher RPM i guess if they weren't 135's it'd be pretty obvious...bad running etc?

I've actually got a spare head and VVC inlet in the garage now so i might try some DIY porting on those and maybe put them on at some point. I've also got some arc motorsport verniers as well so if i go that far i might even try some hotter cams.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts