MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a soppy girly who knows nowt about cars & have a few problems with my little Fido (pet name for my Rover, get it???) which I am desperate for some advice on if you can please help.

Only bought 2 weeks ago & have already had to replace radiator and water pump as I had Mount Vesuvius going on under the bonnet!

Anyway, after a large bank-balance denting bill later, have noticed speedo judders both when accelerating & slowing down, plus mileometer doesn't increase in line with trip - sometimes can do as many as 20 miles on trip without actually moving 1 mile on mileometer. Does anyone know if this means problem with cable or actual dash dials?

Also, immobiliser lights on dash flash but I don't have to use remote to get car started as on my previous models, which sort of defeats the object of having an immobiliser really.

Before the head gasket decided to part company with me on my previous 416, I'd bought a remote fob, but now I only have the one key. Where can I get a spare key and also get remote programmed - I don't have the car code for the new beast?

I am willing to have a go at basics such as unscrewing, removing, replacing & re-screwing but that's about the extent of my limited knowledge. So, if anyone can give me any advice on whether I can DIY or alternatively someone in vicinity of Southampton who will take pity on me and my bank balance I would be very grateful for any assistance you can give.

Please take pity on me!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
mentalasowt said:
I am a soppy girly who knows nowt about cars & have a few problems with my little Fido (pet name for my Rover, get it???) which I am desperate for some advice on if you can please help.

Only bought 2 weeks ago & have already had to replace radiator and water pump as I had Mount Vesuvius going on under the bonnet!

Anyway, after a large bank-balance denting bill later, have noticed speedo judders both when accelerating & slowing down, plus mileometer doesn't increase in line with trip - sometimes can do as many as 20 miles on trip without actually moving 1 mile on mileometer. Does anyone know if this means problem with cable or actual dash dials?

Also, immobiliser lights on dash flash but I don't have to use remote to get car started as on my previous models, which sort of defeats the object of having an immobiliser really.

Before the head gasket decided to part company with me on my previous 416, I'd bought a remote fob, but now I only have the one key. Where can I get a spare key and also get remote programmed - I don't have the car code for the new beast?

I am willing to have a go at basics such as unscrewing, removing, replacing & re-screwing but that's about the extent of my limited knowledge. So, if anyone can give me any advice on whether I can DIY or alternatively someone in vicinity of Southampton who will take pity on me and my bank balance I would be very grateful for any assistance you can give.

Please take pity on me!
OK, the overheating should probably be fine on the 420, much stronger engine than the engine fitted to your 1.6, so don't unduly worry about future HG failures there.

I suspect a problem with the speedo unit and not the cable as it's turning the trip and the speedo needle is moving. Could be a sign of the car having been clocked though. Sorry.

A replacement key can be cut at any high street locksmiths, Timpson should manage with no problem, however a key fob will be needed and this will require programming to your car. If you go to a dealer with proof of ownership and proof of identity along with the chassis number / VIN number (located inside the passenger door on the pillar) then they should be able to search the database and code the key fob to your car. There are a few guys on here who may be able to offer this service in your area and will be as good if not better than a dealer and a good bit cheaper.

It sounds like the immobilliser has been disabled by the previous owner, probably when the key fobs stopped working as is often the case. It may be the case that when you start using a key fob to lock the doors and such, the immobilliser may re-arm. If not, it may need reactivated by dealer/professional.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick Birse said:
OK, the overheating should probably be fine on the 420, much stronger engine than the engine fitted to your 1.6, so don't unduly worry about future HG failures there.

I suspect a problem with the speedo unit and not the cable as it's turning the trip and the speedo needle is moving. Could be a sign of the car having been clocked though. Sorry.

A replacement key can be cut at any high street locksmiths, Timpson should manage with no problem, however a key fob will be needed and this will require programming to your car. If you go to a dealer with proof of ownership and proof of identity along with the chassis number / VIN number (located inside the passenger door on the pillar) then they should be able to search the database and code the key fob to your car. There are a few guys on here who may be able to offer this service in your area and will be as good if not better than a dealer and a good bit cheaper.

It sounds like the immobilliser has been disabled by the previous owner, probably when the key fobs stopped working as is often the case. It may be the case that when you start using a key fob to lock the doors and such, the immobilliser may re-arm. If not, it may need reactivated by dealer/professional.
Hi Nick. Ta muchly for your advice. When you say the speedo unit, is that attached to the dials - told you I knew nowt! I have found a set of dashboard dials on Ebay item number 4644270097 but I don't know if it's as simple as taking existing dash out & replacing with new - do I have to inform anyone that I've done that, do they need calibrating or anything else? I had a horrible feeling that might have been clocked & now worried I'm gonna get done for it!

Also, regarding the key and fobs. I have one original key & fob which work ok and I use the fob to lock the car & arm the alarm. If the immobiliser's been disabled, how would I re-enable that? I If I get a spare key cut, where can I find the guys on here that can reprogramm the new fob - always like to have a spare set of everything!

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
mentalasowt said:
Hi Nick. Ta muchly for your advice. When you say the speedo unit, is that attached to the dials - told you I knew nowt! I have found a set of dashboard dials on Ebay item number 4644270097 but I don't know if it's as simple as taking existing dash out & replacing with new - do I have to inform anyone that I've done that, do they need calibrating or anything else? I had a horrible feeling that might have been clocked & now worried I'm gonna get done for it!

Also, regarding the key and fobs. I have one original key & fob which work ok and I use the fob to lock the car & arm the alarm. If the immobiliser's been disabled, how would I re-enable that? I If I get a spare key cut, where can I find the guys on here that can reprogramm the new fob - always like to have a spare set of everything!

Thanks again for your help.
Hi. If the dash is identical to yours then just swap them. There's nothing illegal about changing dashboards, they do break from time to time and can be damaged in an accident for instance. It only becomes illegal if you try to pass off your car as only having travelled 40,000 miles when it's done 80,000 miles, so to the best of your knowledge, the car has travelled x mileage (whatever is on your dashboard today) and then you either reset the replacement to the dashboard or just take a note of the mileage on the replacement dashboard when you fit it and subtract that mileage from the figure on the dashboard when you come to sell the car, before adding it to x (the mileage on your original dashboard). As long as you state a mileage that is accurate to the best of your knowledge, then your not breaking any laws.

Your best bet is to either post hear asking about "Lucas 5AS Fob Programming" and ask if anyone local to you can program a fob for you, or visit your a local auto electrician, your local Land Rover dealer or former MG Rover dealer who will be able to program a new 5AS fob for you. You'll need to get someone to reactivate the immobiliser as it appears to have been disabled totally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick Birse said:
Hi. If the dash is identical to yours then just swap them. There's nothing illegal about changing dashboards, they do break from time to time and can be damaged in an accident for instance. It only becomes illegal if you try to pass off your car as only having travelled 40,000 miles when it's done 80,000 miles, so to the best of your knowledge, the car has travelled x mileage (whatever is on your dashboard today) and then you either reset the replacement to the dashboard or just take a note of the mileage on the replacement dashboard when you fit it and subtract that mileage from the figure on the dashboard when you come to sell the car, before adding it to x (the mileage on your original dashboard). As long as you state a mileage that is accurate to the best of your knowledge, then your not breaking any laws.

Your best bet is to either post hear asking about "Lucas 5AS Fob Programming" and ask if anyone local to you can program a fob for you, or visit your a local auto electrician, your local Land Rover dealer or former MG Rover dealer who will be able to program a new 5AS fob for you. You'll need to get someone to reactivate the immobiliser as it appears to have been disabled totally.
Hi Nick,

Thank you sooooooooo much for all your help & advice. As a complete novice having someone to advise me is invaluable. You are a top man!

I will deffo take on board all your suggestions. Thanks again from the soppy girly!!!!

Cheers m8!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts