MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly for health & finance reasons I'm selling my super R75 on eBay, it's reached its reserve price so looks like we're parting company.

I will still need a cheap runabout that can pull a caravan, I used to have a Rover 400 SDi Turbo diesel (with a RoverRon box - thanks Ron, it made a big difference!) which did alright with a lightish caravan. Wondered about getting another 400 Turbo diesel or maybe a Rover 600 Turbo diesel. They share the same engine, but different bodies, anybody compared or owned both; which is nicer to drive/own/tow vans with, comments appreciated. Both seem to be very cheap and plentiful.

Thanks
Henry

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
both are good cars, 600 would probably handle the weight of the caravan better. 600's suffer from more rust problems than the 400 though

·
Registered
rover_600
23 Posts
I have owned both, the 400 was just the sd model and the 600 is the GSDI. As said the towing capacity of the 600 will be more but believe it or not, the 400 has a much larger boot. So if this is something that is also important to you I would advise the 400.

We use to be able to get my kids pram and a months shopping in the boot of the 400 but the 600 would take the pram and that was it. Both were saloons.

I find the 600 nicer to drive but that could just be down to the higher spec. I never tried towing with the 400 but I am very impressed with the towing abilities of the 600.

Hope that helps,

T

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the helpful comments.

I've taken the opportunity of getting a 6 year old 45 TD iXL with 36K on the clock at a very good price. It seems to go very well, no doubt I'll be on the forum asking questions about it shortly. In fact I'll ask the gurus about getting rid of stale ciggy smoke and getting an extra key and fob, as car only came with one!

Thanks
Henry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts