MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i've done a search on similar noises and am quite worried that it could be something serious, but there are a few different answers to the problem varying from something you can ignore to something like a spring snapping, so i thought i'd see what you made of my problem.

Rover 400 1.4 16v 1999

Noise has happened twice, once when driving round a very easy left hand bend and next just after had driven round another left hand bend but not such an easy turn this time.

The noise can only be described as a twang i think, it sounds like you've put two metal items together, put tension in them and let them go, it sounded like the noise came from under the passenger side of the car where the person would sit in the seat, although it wouldnt surprise me much if someone was to say it did come from the front wheel area,

please help me diagnose the problem, im very concerned as you would expect!

P.S. Only just bought the bloody thing!

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
585 Posts
if it happens going round a corner its debatable if its passenger seat related ( where the noise is)

to put your mind at ease a bit....does it start and stop okay

does it drive and brake in a straight line without vibration,,,,if so its not that serious.....

its not the sort of "twang" of the seat lever is it?

try it again tomorrow try to "force the car" to make the noise ie in a car park and full lock to hear it, drive with the passenger window down to see if its outside or inside, better still drive around a mate who can see from the outside and hear from the outside, hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, whatever i do i cant make it make the noise, it happened once yesterday and 2 times on the day i first heard it. Car is due for a service soon, so ill get them to put the car on a ramp and check it underneath, any tips on what to look out for?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Put your head up under the wing and see if there is a broken coil spring. (check carefully near the top and bottom of the spring).

Also look underneath to check that the anti-roll bar is bolted to the ends of the wishbones and the unferside of the floor too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i had this problem,it sounds like the springs on the suspension doesnt it?i had this problem for a few months,the other day i lowered my car with new springs and the noise has gone,i think the old springs might have not been sitting properly on the shock or something,try jacking your car up and having a look if the spring sits properly on the shock

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have Rover 420Si yearmodel 200 and it has that same noise sometimes... The sound is just like twang or just like hitting with hammer to coil spring.

The sound comes if I make hard cornering or sudden, quite large suspension situation, or if I turn left the sound comes from left front wheel and if I turn right the sound comes from right front wheel.

When I changed summertyres on, the sound came very easily and quite loudly, only slight or a bit more than slight turn and the noise came.

I don't have any idea where the noise could come from... first I thought something is loose or broken, but in M.O.T. test they did not found anything, I have my self checked and re-checked but nothing is loose or broken. I called to one firm which services Rovers and they said that that noise is most likely from front shock absorbers, some customers has complained from some noise and they had changed those and the noise has gone.

Last Friday I had the serviced, they changed cambelt and tensioner and the car was all the time on crane so all the wheels were up in the air. Now when I have been driving with it looks like the noise has gone... Only once has that noise been there and then it was very quiet. Only small squeak from rear comes when rear wheels makes up - down movement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts