MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me te cost of a replacement catalyst for a friend's collegues Rover S Reg for 1.4 and 1.6

Many thanks

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
111 Posts
Yeah that's where i got my last one....unfortunately it broke up inside after less than a year.....but still passed the emissions test at MOT (YUSSSSS)

It just has an annoying rattle at certain revs!! lol

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Yeah that's where i got my last one....unfortunately it broke up inside after less than a year.....but still passed the emissions test at MOT (YUSSSSS)

It just has an annoying rattle at certain revs!! lol
sounds like heatsheild and not the cat

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
it's not always the heatshield, cat also does the ratte at certain rpm's (2.5k?).
mine used to rattle after I modified it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i just cut the cat out en put a tube as replacement ... simple and cheap.
I suggest you replace the air intake, if you just remove the cat you will win som HP but lose torque, if you replaces the intake you win like +-20Nm and +-20hp on a 1.4 engine

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I suggest you replace the air intake, if you just remove the cat you will win som HP but lose torque, if you replaces the intake you win like +-20Nm and +-20hp on a 1.4 engine
No good come MoT time for a petrol, though. :D

Rik

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
you lose torque when you decat??? I didn't know that...
you're saying a performance airfilter and cold air intake will fix the problem?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I couldnt tell you where but there is a known issue with part of the exhaust vibrating at those revs, mine did it new cat and a few hours messing still rattled

Some messing about by the garage and voila fixed.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Apparantly my grandad said he heard a rattle on my dads 400 when it started up - I havn't noticed it. But when I was in it the other day you can hear a rattle when pulling away at certain rpm. Its very quite but we both noticed it. I "think" this is probably a sheild? Could be the cat breaking up.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Mine was a git for this annoying rattle at 2700rpm drove me mad as it happened at motorway speeds obviously. Took it to saeveral places some said it may well have been the auto box -brown underwear !! Later to an xpart centre new cat rattle at 2500 rpm now!!! 3 mechanics ragging it down a lane 2 with doors open head under the car fixed heheh exhaust mounts towards back of the car -amazing how the sound travelled

BTW the cat OEM was £495 (nearly died) they got me a non oem one £80

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the annoying rattle with mine, when I changed the backbox to the stainless steel one it went away.... still don't know where it was coming from but oh well lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts