MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mum is a huge fan of Rover, and especially the 25.

So at last she is wanting to buy one. The local garage has a Racing Green, W Reg 25 Turbo Diesel.

It has done 72k miles, full service history, and seems in excellent condition.

It is very noisy when he started it up, but no rattles that i could hear etc.

He wants 3795 for it, do you guys/girls think that is overpriced??

Thanks.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The L series is loud when cold but sounds a lot better when it warmed up. I think when it comes to the 25 I would shop around for a low mileage 1.4 instead of a 2.0 with high mileage on. You can afford to be picky with the 25 as it is Rovers best seller.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the benefits of the 1.4 do you think?

Also, i think the thing is, that my mums opinion would be why bother going to the hassle of changing her fiesta for another car that gives no better, and no worse mileage. Same insurance group, same tax, so no real point(in her eyes)

Though, if i could convince her that it would be the best thing, possibly.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
If you drive a 1.4 you will see the advantage. The 1.4 K is as fast as the 1.6 Ford engine so as you can see the 1.4 is very powerful. The 2.0 Diesel is a good engine but I would shop around for a lower mileage example that's all. The L series has known to go over the 200,000 Mile mark with little work done on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My wife has a 1.4 iS 25, so it has the 103 ps engine. In our experience it gives good fuel economy and gives good power for cruising. I'm guessing your mum may not be in to racing away at traffic lights (s'pose I could be wrong though!) so she won't be worrying that, the way we drive ours anyway, it probably isn't the quickest accelerating- but it isn't bad either (so please, no hail of abuse from other contributors).

My wife loves it. It is big enough to get a good load of shopping in the boot. There is enough room to take adult passengers comfortably on certainly medium length journeys (wouldn't fancy a hundred miles in the back myself though as i'm 6' tall, but i'm sure you get what i'm saying). I can't help but feeling that the 25 is a step up in drive quality from the Fiesta, must be bigger inside as well as out and looks a much more attractive vehicle. I certainly remember reading that they are inexpensive to run, all in all (ours certainly is) and I believe the 25 did surprisingly well in the latest JD Power survey, beating quite a few of it's competitors. That was in a recent thread so you can check that. Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Ben not wanting to start an argument but the 25 103PS is the quickest 1.4 in the class. The only car that comes close is the Honda Jazz from my information. The 1.4 84PS is still better then most of the competition's 1.4 as well. The 25 was 5 places behind the Fiesta and 42% of 25 owners would have another 25.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mickey said:
My Mum is a huge fan of Rover, and especially the 25.

So at last she is wanting to buy one. The local garage has a Racing Green, W Reg 25 Turbo Diesel.

It has done 72k miles, full service history, and seems in excellent condition.

It is very noisy when he started it up, but no rattles that i could hear etc.

He wants 3795 for it, do you guys/girls think that is overpriced??

Thanks.
Sounds good, although I would try offering £3K aiming for £3250 maximum.

I would choose the L Series diesel over the K 1.4 any day, simply because there is no fear of HGF. (whether you like hearing it or not it is a feature and does play on the mind).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Certainly not wanting an argument at all. I didn't realise the 1.4 103 ps is the most powerful in its class. I certainly know that it feels as if it has good power once you get going, but I have never tested it for acceleration to know its limits.

As for the whole JD power thing, all I read was a thread where someone was reeling off a list of newer competitors cars that it had beaten in the survey and seem to remember that the comment was along the lines of 'a surprising improvement'- I'm sure you know better than me but 5 places doesn't seem either here nor there to me. I don't know whether 42% of 25 owners saying that they would have another is good, bad or indifferent as I haven't studied the survey, but Mickey was asking about the 25 and the 1.4 was suggested as an option to consider, and I just thought he wouldn't mind a view from a happy owner. My wife had a fiesta once, nicknamed 'Ferdinand the Sherman' and later just 'tank', and although it wasn't as bad as the Peugeot that followed it, there would have to be threats and menaces involved before she would swap her 25 for another one.

Anyway, thanks for putting me right; I now feel suitably chastened! :eek:uch:

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The chance of HGF is a real play on the mind but expensive things can go on the L as well. If the K is looked after then HGF should not happen. I have had many Rovers for 30 years and from 1989 when the K came in I have only had one HGF and it did not need the head skimming because the gasket was letting air into the engine so it didn't over heat. All the MG and Rovers did well in the Auto Express survey. I feel the ZS and the ZT did best as they wear in the top 30.

·
Registered
253 Posts
your mom cant loose realy,L series turbo diesels are great value considering the performance/ economy/reliability package,if she prefers petrol the 1.4k series is one of the best 1400ccs around as long as its looked after(like any other engine).
the one you mention at the garage for £3750 depends on the spec.if its a IE then its steep if its a IL/IS then its a normal garage haggle price imo.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,

I have told her to forget it, and look around for a cheaper 1.4, as that would be better.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Mickey,

the L series is a great, powerful and economical diesel engine, but unfortunately in the 200/25 it is very noisy. It is much better suited to the bubble 400/45 which obviously had a much better installation.

I suppose that doesn't really help you, but I would suggest a 1.4 103ps. We have a 84ps 1.4 and it is crying out for that throttle body upgrade!!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
25 Td

I would chose a TD over a 1.4 anyday, but then I do alot of miles and drive on the motorway a fair bit. For short trips there is not a lot of point in buying a diesel as you'd never get back the price difference or cover the higher insurance, also diesels do not like short trips or stop/start (they get coked up, and cambelt changes are recommended at half the usual mileage) driving so the 1.4 would be the better car, this is presuming your mother isn't a higher mileage driver?

That sounds quite a reasonable price for a garage for a TD by the way. The mileage isn't a problem provided it's been looked after well, my old 220D (basically the same engine but simpler) is not 170,000+ and still running fine

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MY mum is a community carer, so does 15k a year,

But it is mainly stopping and starting every few miles which is not good for the car,

I think i want her to have the TD because i want to drive the thing!! vroom :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts