MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got my car back from an MOT, had a new Cat Convertor and new tyres that was it, they had some problems getting it through the emissions test but finally passed this evening. Lots of addative.....

Any way, when driving home the Gear stick is catching/grinding metal on metal. Its not the actual gears themselves the car drives fine in gear and no noise coming from gear box, but the gear stick seems to be catching against the sides of something (im not anywhere near a mechanic) like its not greased up or something, 1st and 2nd are fine, 3rd 4th and 5th are the problem, the gears engage no problem its just moving the stick between these gears is hard work, they;ve eased up a little since driving, i just dont see how changing the CAT would create this problem?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gear linkage

Is that something i could look at??

and is this going to cause any damage over a small period say two weeks?

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you can get under the car. Might be easier if you've got a mate to move the gear stick around while you(?) are under there so you can see where it might be grinding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just done as suggested

Just climbed under my car, mate engaging gears and i cant beleive the mechanic who has done this....

I see my brand spanking new exhaust bit, but the bottom of the gear stick leaver rubs against the top of the pipe when in 3rd 4th and 5th this would be why the gear stick appears to be stiff, glad its not the actually gear box though.

|Any ideas?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Can you get some pics up off this because I don't understand how the cat could have been fitted wrong if it was the correct part? In any case you need to whip back to the garage and let them sort it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I had a similar problem when I replaced the cat on my car. The original one was long and thin, the replacement one is short and fat, but the overall length of the section was precisely the same. I used slightly longer rubber mountings on the part. It's been through an MOT since (Government test here in NI) and they said it was OK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for that, it doenst seem to be effecting the gears, or the clutch or the way the car drives, just cant switch gears as quickly anns as smootly as i once could.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers thanks for that, thats exactlly the same as mine. Anyone have any solutions as to how i could stop the hear lever from rubbing against the exhaust?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts