MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey People,

My 25 1.6iL has been on best behaviour for past 5 months so I decided to reward it with a new CD Player, spent most of yesterday pulling out centre console to fit it & when I put it back together again, my fuel guage is not working but there is fuel in the car & it won't start either :ts: it just turns over. I have checked all the fuses inc obvious fuel pump fuse / immobiliser fuse etc. Anyone know if the fuel pump should buzz when you turn on the ignition (mine does not now & not sure if it did previously) or any other help most appreciated. Cheers - Its u guys or a cowboy electrician!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cheers for response, very knowledgeable I'll check it out....

Just checked my handbook & fuse 5 in footwell is for left hand Headlight main beam.. no similarities there to my problem?! Or it just Rover putting the wrong fuses in the wrong places? If you mean the fuel pump fuse, then that is in the engine compartment & I have checked it, it is OK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked out those fuses & all intact including all engine managmement / fuel pump, still no joy...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Inertia switch? Apols don't know car that well, where is that then? You don't mean the cut-off switch do you?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I take it you've had the battery disconnected? Assuming everything lights up in position 2 of the ignition then it is likely your immobilser is armed.

It is necessary to resync the fob after disconnecting the battery. Open the car with the key then press the lock button 5 times in succession until the doors lock. Then try agin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have done the fuel shut off thing with no joy, pressed it & the plastic is so brittle it jut snapped off its mounting...grrr! It's still all intact, but just not mounted anymore, this is not a problem is it??

Have not had the battery disconnected, the fob works when locking/unlocking the doors & arming the alarm, could this still be the starting problem??

I just wonder why the fuel level indicator on the gauge is also off the scale (Less than '0') indicating it is not working. the problems seem related, no fuel gauge no start, but turns over...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done the key programming thing, no joy, also the immobiliser override thing with the keys as it says in the handbook.... no joy

Should I get a buzzing re: fuel pump when I turn the keys to position 2?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
You should hear the fuel pump prime. The fuel gauge and fuel pump priming will be linked.

I would be rechecking all the engine bay fues and the links again by actually removing to check. Fuse 5 engine compartment and fuse 14 passenger footwell in particular.
Been through this so any times with people claiming to have checked fuses and in the end it turns out to be a fuse that wasn't correctly checked.

Do the dash lights come on with the ignition?

Also I'm a bit surprised you attempted to wire in a radio without disconnecting the battery first..very silly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK cheers, will check all the fuses again.

All dash lights do work when iginition switched on.

Thought there would be no need to disconnect battery - hindsight is such a curse! New audio was a doddle though, all connectors are the same, just use keys to slip old one out / take out cage / fit new cage / reconnect connectors & antenna reverer / slip back in again - left off the connector for CD changer!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
This may be coincidental with something else. Check all the earth points in the engine bay to make sure they are secure.

Have you tried disconnecting the CD player?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have fixed!!! Called an Auto electrician & he charged me £40 which I was more than happy to pay!

Should have noticed that as well as my fuel pump not working, my rear lights had also packed up & so had the rear wiper..... The reason the fuel guage was reading nowt is because the sensor was disconnected too. All boiled down to the connectors for the loom for the rear of the car had worked themelves loose, I did see this originally but could not find the male part anywhere so figured it must be the same loom as used in the 45 series & therefore for rear electic windows etc etc. The loom clicks into place, so my thoughts are it was never connected properly from the day it left the factory to now as I have always had issues with things stopping working at the back of the car...

Thanks to everyone who tried to help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts