MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry to be bothering you, as am sure you will all read lots of threads just like this.
However my car is going for a service in the next few days, and it has a few problems, so if anyone has any idea's that I can tell the mechanic, or things I should be having replaced while its being serviced..

My car is a rover 25 impressio s ,1.4i 16 VaLVE 103ps, 52000 Miles.
Last service :- 42,000 Miles
Last Oil Change and filter :- 49,000 Miles

The car is going in for a full service, including changing of the timing/cambelts.

However I have a few other problems with the car if anyone can advice

Every day when I go to start the car, I turn the key, and the engine turns, however it doesnt start, I need to use the throttle to get the engine to start, however this can cause petrol smelling smoke to come out the back, then once the engine has started, the smoke stops, ...this smoke is sometimes white, sometimes bluey/whitey/grey.....if thats even possible.
Can anyone advice me as to why this happens, or measures I can take to fix this?

I also have a problem where I am driving the car, and when accelerating, I loose power, and then power comes back, basically its like when you accelerate, its as if there's a guy standing behind your car with a rope, and every so often lets the rope go, so you accelerate off, and then he tightens the rope, so you slow down in your acceleration....can any one suggest why this may be happening?

The next question I have is, I checked the haynes maintainance manual, and its schedualed for the fuel filter to be replaced at 60,000 Miles, however am I worth haviing this replaced now while its in for a service?

Also is there anything I can have done to avoid the dredded head gasket failure?...e.g modifications that are cheaper than the 400 pound repair bill

Thanks Guys,

Ryan

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
There is nothing you can do to avoid HGF if its going to happen its going to happen. There are only preventative measure like regular oil and coolant changes etc that can help prolong the dark shadow looming. If you cant afford a HGF change and need to keep it going for a little while use K-Seal. But from what you describe it seems HGF has already set in. Ask your mechanic to do a pressure and block test to see if it already has. If it has there are plenty of threads with varying ways of resolving it. Either a) do it yourself or b)having it changed to the uprated gasket by a mechanic, seem to be the most popular. Like I say though get the tests done and you'll have a better idea, as myself and others on here can continue to debate and speculate until were blue in the face.

So to some it up in a simple sentence: "Get the tests done and get it sorted."

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
Surely if he was experiencing HGF coolant loss would be evident even if it is not mixing with oil etc. I would start with the coil pack and leads and also carry out a compression and coolant system pressure test. The fuel filter is a 4 year change but more often will not do any harm they are only about £8.00 and a five minute job to change.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
welcome to the forum.

that would be all the symptoms of a duff coolant temp sensor.

I bet your MPG is rubbish too

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys

Hey guys, thanks for all your advice and help,
Yeah I get bad MPG, :(, I will ask the mechanic to do a pressure test,
Does anyone know if replacing the old gasket for a new one, if no damage has been done, just as expensive, e.g still in the 300-400 mark ?

thanks guys

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
just relax, keep an eye on coolant and oil in weekly checks and everything will be fine!

now get that coolant temp sensor changed!

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
Hey there, its a 2001 Plate, 52,500 Miles on the clock
Stop talking about the dreaded or you can really wake it up! :)

I've a 45 like yours (2001; 64,400 miles; 1.4 engine) and it has been super reliable till now... only the story of the resistor pack, door handles and some other minor things (3-4 bulbs also).

Just follow the official schedule (change OAT coolant and reservoir cap every 4-5 years) and replace the water pump and tensioner now with the cambelt.

My fuel filter blocked up around the 44-45k miles after I used a good cleaning agent (Winn's professional line), maybe you should not wait for the 60k if you're doing a service now with 52k. In fact it was not only one fuel filter but two in 10 days... :)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My fuel filter blocked up around the 44-45k miles after I used a good cleaning agent (Winn's professional line), maybe you should not wait for the 60k if you're doing a service now with 52k. In fact it was not only one fuel filter but two in 10 days... :)[/quote]

I thought they had to be changed at 25k ???? Or did you have dodgey petrol?

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Isn't it every 4 years or whichever one comes first? I think I read it in the haynes manual but can't find it to double check now

Edit: Found it, every 48k or 4 years for my 200 bubble so I'd assume it would be the same.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I stand corrected!!
I seem to remember my 100 saying 25k could have been 36k, am I mad or did I see a replacement time on the OEM filter itself aswell as the haynes ? Seem to recall me having a fit that it wasnt changed with a fsh on the car???

Either way it doesnt hurt as they are dirt cheap (£7 from a factors) especially with the likes of tesco selling petrol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
back from a service

Hey guys, I would like to thank you all for your advice, etc

Well I got my car back from its service.

The timing belt has been changed, seemed to be ok
HOwever my Service bill was £450!, as he had to change the water pump as it was leaking, charged me 85 quid for a new water pump then 64 labour ( could get a pump off ebay for 14 quid)

Anyway, when he was replacing the water pump he snapped one of the bolts trying to take it off, so now to get the snapped bolt out, he has to drill it then tap it.........thats an engine out of the bay job, so what he has done is just put the new pump on, with the existing bolts left...and added loads of sealer.....

Can anyone tell me if that should be ok? or should I be expecting alot of problems?

Other than that, had new oil , filer, coolant, brake fluid air filder, spark plugs,..

The problem with the car not starting straight away, and loss of power, is due to a carbon build up in the injectors, so he says I'll need to put REDEX in the fuel every fill up, and leave it a few months to get rid of it all :(

Does this all sound right guys?

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Where is this mechanic?
Cus I'd like to avoid him like the plauge!
I think your being had mate, have you seen any water stains under your car when parked?
Ask to see your old water pump....I would.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts