MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie, girlie, so hope this is in the right place.

If you were to ask your local garage for a main, annual service, what should that contain?

It's a W reg Rover 25 1.4 petrol, serviced in January 07 and clapped out on the motorway yesterday with insufficient oil in the gear box, a problem that has, apparently, been long standing.

Ta.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Firstly a HUGE welcome, now for the boring bit...

Service from garages depends on mileage.

Gearbox Oil Level wouldn't be checked on a standard service. Oil, filters, brakes, plugs, brake fluid level, coolant level, power steering

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply, fellow Scot!

There was 61000 miles on the clock when I booked the service.

(Have re-registered, hence name change. System threw me out, then wouldn't recognize me :-( )

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
61000 puts you in cambelt changing, unless it's already been done. It's not a hard job on the K16, but I wouldn't take it to an Xpart service centre...
I paid £85 for my last annual service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, yes, I did that (had it done). That plus the service was £186.
Just wondered about the gearbox oil though.

I suppose it's not fair to blame the garage if I'm thick. I put it to them at the time that it was my first older car for a while, so what else apart from the 4 new tyres I apparently needed, the new exhaust I definitely needed and the full service I was asking for, did I need to give the car its best possible chance of lasting me a long time.

They told me about the belt, so I did it. I wish the gearbox oil had crossed their minds, I'd be £600+ less out of pocket today if it had.

ps bidding for a Haynes manual on ebay now as we speak....

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
If they followed the official service schedule then it would include checking the gearbox oil, and also things like greasing the locks, checking for corrosion, changing brake fluid and coolant at the specified intervals.

Sadly many cars don't have a full service history, or are not maintained to the service schedule even if they do, so it's really pot luck unless you either use a (ex) main dealer who is on the ball, a decent independant or do it DIY. I certainly wouldn't want to drive a car with 4 year old brake fluid.

If you are not sure that the brake fluid has been changed on time (every 2 years), get this done now, as you could find out the hard way that it hasn't, and plan to get a FULL service soon at a decent garage who know about doing the coolant, brake fluid, fuel/air/pollen filters, greasing locks etc., and cambelt if it needs doing or you have no proof that it's been done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Tim.

The car has FSH, in that the book indicates it's had annual main services since birth. The only comments added in though are that I had the timing belt changed, on advice, the first time I had it serviced, in January 07.

I've already learned the hard way about the gearbox - I broke down totally in the middle of nowhere up the A66 last weekend. The gearbox, I'm told, has been running for a long time with insufficient oil. I think the technical term for it now is knackered. That's why I'm looking for advice from you guys, because I believe the garage that serviced it in January have let me down by not checking the gearbox oil; especially as I asked them if there was anything else I needed to get done, and told them that the clutch was tricky to get into first.

The fact that the gearbox oil wasn't checked (whoever's responsibility that was, theirs or mine) has cost me over £600, in repairs and hirecar costs. Ouch. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
d'oh. just too trusting for my own good, I guess!:slap:
not necessarily - i am not good with cars - the absolute basics i understand but can generally let when my car is not 'happy' shall we say it depends on what type of garage you go to.

Mine is an xpart ex rover dealer for many many years something like before the 70's, so they are very very good and because they are out in sticks a bit they give the best service you could hope for and are cheap (i have many examples of that!) and if you call them with an urgent type problem maybe break warnings etc they just slot you right in.

whereabouts are you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Bradford, West Yorkshire. The garage I've been taking it to is an all-purpose, general servicing/tyres/exhaust kind of place. I'm looking round for something more specific for the future.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I'm in Bradford, West Yorkshire. The garage I've been taking it to is an all-purpose, general servicing/tyres/exhaust kind of place. I'm looking round for something more specific for the future.

That would be too far for mine its near peterborough - try the area forum and ask for a garage recommendation. :broon:

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Ailidh, I live in Dewsbury and have a 25 so will be using my mobile mechanic, he does MOTs etc. My car has just had a service and MOT but will be using him. Gonna probably phone him to ask how much...will let you know the price if you want?

He has done my other cars and my mums Landrover Freelander, about £100 for a service, parts & labour. Could be cheaper as I paid £103 on my last car and that included the MOT fee.

Si:)

I DRIVE A...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts