MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
After only owning my rover 25 1.4 advantage 2000 x reg and 36,000 miles just a month, Its over heated in a big way. the head has deep grooves around the pots and i have a big hole in number 4 piston.
Im looking for another engine could any one tell me if there is any difference between the 200 and 25 1.4 16v engines the rocker cover looks different.
Ive been offered a 1997 engine with 50,000 which is running so will it fit.
hopefully you can help
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi!

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm not that knowledgable on this but I think that the two engines are slightly different so it's not a straight swap

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Hi
After only owning my rover 25 1.4 advantage 2000 x reg and 36,000 miles just a month, Its over heated in a big way. the head has deep grooves around the pots and i have a big hole in number 4 piston.
Im looking for another engine could any one tell me if there is any difference between the 200 and 25 1.4 16v engines the rocker cover looks different.
Ive been offered a 1997 engine with 50,000 which is running so will it fit.
hopefully you can help
Thanks
Chris
The 200s will have a different wiring harness not least due to the fact it has an different ignition system and modified emissions control.

I don't know about the MOT-ability of it to on the emissions front becuase I guess they will test it to "X Reg" standard, and for an "R Reg" it will no doubt be dirtier (don't quote me on that).

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
It is easier to fit a 200 engine to a 25.

You will need to retain your inlet manifold and swap over the camshaft cover as it houses the ignition coils on the 25.

The distributor is not needed from the 200 engine, it can simply be left in place or you could remove it along with the rotor arm and the drive spigot from the end of the camshaft.

Before the engine is fitted you might consider replacing the cambelt, tensioner and water pump, you could go even further and fit the latest MLS head gasket to avoid any future problems.

All of this work is much easier to do with the engine out of the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts