MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a rover 25 1.4 (2000) model £400 with only 60k on the clock
and i would like to do a few things to it
ive heard you can upgrade the headbolts and head gasket on the k-series engine to help with the head gasket failure problems there known for
i've also heard about changing to a PRT theromostat from a landrover to help with the thermal throttling of the engine
can anyone point me in the right direction to acquiring the parts in the UK i wanna keep this thing going as best i can
in this day and age budget is tight so i would like to keep it as cheap as possible
i would also like to lower the stance of the car i would prefer to use coilovers but the budget wont allow for this
would the OEM mg zr shocks and springs just fit straight into the rover it gives about a 10mm drop from the rover 25 i've heard and lowering springs are cheaper for the zr too if im not mistaken

and help is appreciated
thanks in advance

·
Registered
rover_25
86 Posts
first off, there is no upgraded headgasket kit, theres a choice of 2 gaskets that you can choose but it depends on your liner heights, if all 4 liners are 3 thou proud you use the mls, if theyre not you use the payen 750 gasket. there is higher tensile bolts and a new oil rail which are worth getting when you do it. dont replace the headgasket untill it goes.

You can use the prt thermostat

As far as loweing goes, standard zr shocks with standard zr springs will lower the 25 20mm, if you paired the zr shocks with 30mm lowing springs you would lower the car 50mm

Most of the parts can be bought from Rover 200/Rover 25 Parts and Accessories | Rimmer Bros or Discount MG Rover Spares - Tel 02380 001133 / Email [email protected]

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I agree with Yasmine, unless you have problems with the HG, leave as it is. Loss of coolant is the usual indicator. I'd say the same for the thermostat as well, if it's working, don't 'fix it'. You'll obviously get a harder ride with the ZR suspension if you go ahead with that mod. Btw - enjoy your Rover :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts