MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

After being laid up for most of last year, my 1400cc Rover 25 now refuses to start. The engine turns but it will not fire up. It sometimes tries to fire on the first turn of the key but then nothing further. I drove it to it's current parking spot.
When in use, it always started off the button without hesitation. The car has been parked to try to fix the numerous cabin leaks from windscreen, sunroof & rear hatch. It's been sat outdoors but under cover out of the rain.

It was very low on fuel but not empty. I put a fresh gallon of Unleaded in but still it won't fire.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance of reply.

·
Registered
Rover 45 Club 2.0TD '04 Hatchback
10 Posts
First thing I would do

Check your getting a spark. I used to check for a spark by removing a plug reattaching the HT lead and makeing sure it still contacted metal to get an earth. Then you need someone to watch it while you crank the engine and check there is a spark.

If you are I'd still clean the plugs and check the gaps.

Then try starting again.

Then check your getting fuel. You can check you have fuel by by removing and checking a spark plug again to see if it's wet with fuel.

Obviously if either of those test fail then it gives you something else to look for and check further up the HT system or fueling.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Rover 45 Club 2.0TD '04 Hatchback
10 Posts
Also bare in mind it's not great to crank it over a lot of it's not sparking as you'll just be flooding the cylinders with fuel. So it's also worth disconnecting the fuel pump and crank it over dry to clear it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
rover_25
255 Posts
can you hear the fuel pump prime, when you put the ign on you should be able to hear it, if not get under the car and hit the fuel tank, this can shock the fuel pump into working again, it happened to me after I restored my 25 which took a year, i spend ages trying to diag the car and my friend hit the fuel tank and its worked ever since

·
Registered
mg_zr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both for your replies. Yeah, I can hear the fuel pump prime. I'll pull the plugs and inspect & clean and try again. I'm worried it was some sort of 'black box' immobiliser type problem.

·
Registered
mg_zr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had another go at it today. Still no joy, engine turns but refuses to fire.

Plugs are gapped correctly and are definitely getting fuel. One thing I noticed is the Earth lead from the Battery is very corroded. I'll repair or replace it and try again. That said, it was still allowing the engine to turn over.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Earth must be a prime suspect. The starter motor will have its own earth, so clean up a remake the one on the slam panel. If that doesn’t work, check the baffles haven’t collapsed in the exhaust blocking it. Does it rattle? If so disconnect and try to start.

·
Registered
mg_zr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Morning Gnu. I'd have never have thought of the exhaust in a million years. It was rattling for a while before it was parked up so may have finally thrown the towel in whilst it stood for this last year or so.I'll have another go at it later this week and let you now how I get on. :)

·
Registered
mg_zr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello All. Fitted he rand new Earth lead and disconnected the Exhaust at the manifold. Still no joy. Turns more freely with the new Earth but still refuses to fire.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Did you check you are getting a good spark on all plugs? If no, that will point to plugs, coil packs, cam position sensor etc.

You could try without air filter as it could be clogged. Also you could add a can of fresh fuel.

·
Registered
mg_zr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Air Filter is removed and I tipped a fresh gallon of fuel in for good measure. The fuel level remains low but the needle does register a small gap between it and the red low-level marker.

Curiously, I pulled the plugs and rested them on the metal rocker cover, having removed the plastic 'beautification' panel. I saw sparks at times but not all the time.

Might it be related to the MEMS? I believe it's Level 3 on my 1.4 Impression car.

It's all a bit curious as although it's been parked up for almost a year, it drove to it's current spot and was always a good starter.

I had removed the interior - all seats and carpet - to chase the numerous water leaks.Again, it previously started in this condition though the SRS light does not now extinguish, I guess because the front seats are removed.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I’d renew the plugs. If still variable sparks, renew the coil pack(s) and therefore leads. A coil pack will serve 2 plugs, so you should be able to work out the dodgy one. You may as well take out and clean the cam position sensor whilst there.

·
Registered
rover_25
255 Posts
you will need to take it to a garage or get a diag tool so you can see the fuel pressure, engine timing etc,crank and cam signals , if it has spark air and fuel it will fire, unless the immobilizer is kicking in

·
Registered
mg_zr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, thanks both. :) I have a feeling it's the immobiliser. Diag tool is the next step, I think. Fuel and spark appear to be present.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts